Options

What is the starting point in Linux?

masood78masood78 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to the Linux world and I want to know the starting point, I know there are lots of materials on net but I am not yet properly understand. Is there any links that guide me thoroughly and help me, so that I can use Linux professionally.

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First you need to download a Linux distro and install it. There a lot of different distros out there but most people recommend starting with Fedora and/or Ubuntu. Red Hat seems to be one of the most popular distros in the enterprise environment but is not free, you could download CentOS instead because it is free and is just like Red Hat enterprise Linux just without the Red Hat name and support. Be sure to have a look at www.distrowatch.com when you get some time, there you will find info about every flavor of linux. Hope that helps.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    I agree with everything sthomas has written. In addition I'd like to add that when I first installed LInux at home I went out and bought a RH9 book and scanned through it before installing Linux. That gave me a better understanding of the installation options, disk formatting before jumping in.
  • Options
    vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have had Ubuntu installed for about 3 weeks on my laptop at home.

I **** love it... you know.

Im tripping cause the world makes it like theirs only M$ and Mac.

I haven't had any problems with Ubuntu. I've just read the forums for help and all.

Put since I would like to get my Linux+ cert like to know what distro is better to use for preparing for the exam :D
    Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    vwtech,

I'm using Fedora 7 and Slackware right now. Fedora seems to be the build of choice for this exam.
  • Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also want to get it installed and study for the cert. Got the CBT and it's great !!! Thanks sthomas for the link !!! angel.gifangel.gifangel.gif
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did a linux admin class at my local community college.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can also install linux on Virtual Machines if you don't have extra machines laying around. I have ubuntu installed on mine and it works great. Its a nice way to get your feet wet at least.
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    If you really want to learn linux one of the best ways is just install it on a machine and start using it everyday. Every time you come across something you want to do google it, research it and figure it out. You'll learn quite a bit more and it will stick with you that way. Kind of like going to a foreign country and immersing yourself in a language rather than reading a book or sitting in a class.
  • Options
    UpAndCommingUpAndComming Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with what Technowiz just said. Even more so if you start out using Slackware or Gentoo. That will force you to learn. If you are not scared of the CLI you will have fun doing it.
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am too a newbie to linux but have become interested in learning it and obtaining a vendor neutral certification icon_bounce.gif (ie: Linux+), although this test isn't cheap! I also would benefit for learning Linux, as my company is starting to become more of a VMware enviroment (the ESX servers are Linux platforms), plus we have Red Hat Enterprise lying around (not being used in our production or test enviroment).
    I have a TestOut CBT, but I would like to please know if there are any good textbooks for this exam.

Thank you all for your info! :D
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    pjdarmispjdarmis Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    vmmachines is the best choice..... but u can use a livecd to run a complete linux OS without having to install it on your hdd.
    Try using Knoppix live cd (just yahoo it or google it) icon_cool.gif
    pjdarmis
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Knoppix on bootable CD is the best option if you only have one machine available. Dual boot is the worst option.

You will learn the most from installs. You never get it right the first time.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/