Need advice-- RAM on KT400 mb

petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
Hey all,

I've got a KT400 motherboard with an AMD processor on it. Printed specs say it supports a maximum of 2GB of RAM. Has anyone tried, or knows of anyone trying, to put more than that on these types of boards? I'd like to be able to rack up some serious VMs on it! Thanks for any input. . .
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
--Will Rogers

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had that MB too, but I don't think I maxed out the RAM. However, I have heard that XP has problems addressing memory beyond 2GB.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    It usually depends on how many memory slots you have, for alot of DDR400 motherboards if you've got 2 slots it's 2Gb if you've got 3 or 4 slots you've got at least 3Gb or 4Gb but you should be able to get the specs from the motherboard manufacturer's website. XP can handle 4 Gb no problem, it just can't give more than 2Gb of memory to one application process unless you use the /3GB in the boot.ini. Even then, it can only use 3Gb, the remaining 1 Gb is totally for use by the system, which is a bit of a waste. If you use a 64-bit OS you don't have this limitation but most desktop motherboards currently have a 4Gb limitation.

Maybe a BIOS update will get around the printed limitation.
    Yes we can, yes we can...