`Any help??

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
What will be the affect on my network if i have an internal name like mydomain.com but there is a public domain name out there somewhere on the internet with the same name.

How much trouble am I in? If i was in this situation?
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All that really means is that you won't be able to have an external presence with the same name as you normally use internally. All you could really do is just configure new boxes that support your external name's presence.

So for example, if you have a DMZ, you can configure a dns server that hosts your externalname.com and your web server which hosts a website for your external name. You could also do things like have DNS hosted by a service provider and just have a web server on your network. Or you could have the web server for your external presence on your internal network while ISA in your DMZ proxies your web server. There are several different things you can do.

The main point you need to know, is there is nothing you can really do about your external name being taken other than accepting the fact that you have to use a different name for external presence. This is one of the main things with designing networks is to make sure that the name you want to use is not already taken on the internet.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. But maybe i wasnt as lucid as I thought.

I really want to know..scratch the fact of me ever wanting an external domain name the same as my internal. I just want to know how will my domain on the inside be affected if there is another domain on the net with the same name.?

Thanks again
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on a few factors. Do you have any DNS servers internally, and are you running any services internally (such as web sites or something) that internal or external clients need to resolve? For example, if you chose microsoft.com for your internal domain name and ran your own DNS servers, your clients might have trouble accessing microsoft.com or possibly your own servers, depending on how you set up your zones and IP scheme. If all you have is a DC and a couple of clients, and used your ISP for DNS, you might not have any noticable problems. So it kind of all depends.

Or are you asking about legal issues, like is Microsoft going to sue you for using microsoft.com on a private LAN?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah I see what you are saying. One thing that I can think of is VPN in from the outside won't work with DNS using your internal name. So for example, if your internal name is domain.com, you won't be able to use vpn.domain.com. As for internal issues, you won't really have any. As long as your clients are configured to use internal dns servers, they'll always hit the resources they need to hit using your domain name. Dns servers won't have any issues since they will get a request for your internal domain, and they'll see they are authoritative for that domain and won't even talk to any internet dns servers. So really, the only issues you'll have is when doing stuff like vpn and wanting to use your domain name from the outside. As I stated in my previous post, you can still use a different domain name registered on the internet and have that new domain name point to services on your network that have a public ip assigned to them.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot. just asking because I heard horror stories of doing something like that and have resolution issues on the inside. (like explained above)

But i guess its not that crazy.

Cool