Options

helpdesk or not?

emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey people,
I have a decision possibly to make. I have been trying to get a job in either networking or possibly desktop support. However the few interviews Ive had didnt want me because I have no "paid" experience. I do have two good prospects-- one is a helpdesk and the other is a pc mobile repair company. Neither is really what I wanted but I need a job and I need to get a computer job considering I spent the last four years to obtain this goal. My problem is I want to get into networking. The helpdesk job is just for these peoples software. Thus I wouldnt get to use hardly anything I have Learned. The mobile repair does alot more of what i learned but not too much networking. My problem I guess is Im afraid neither of these will really help me get the type of job I want in a year or two. Im thinking It would be the same in an interview after working at these places. The recruiter would look at my resume and say " oh I see you dont have any real network experience". Thus I would be in the same situation Im in now. If my thinking is wrong, would someone that hires or knows for sure, please let me know.Or should I just hold out for a desktop support type of position. I really wouldnt mind working for either if it will help me get a networking job in the future and would actually look like I had gained experience. thanks people
lungsucker.jpg

Comments

• Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As a former team lead, you need to get some experience under your belt. Take the help desk job. At least you'll be more eposed to everything. Certs are what get's your foot in the door, experience is what brings you through
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi emmajoyce,

Helpdesk is always the best place to start in my opinion as it builds a solid foundation on not only the technical side of things but how to deal with people in a support environment. You may not like it but 1 - 2 year experience on a helpdesk is usually enough before you move onto the next level.

Although it is supporting software, I would imagine there will be some exposure to low level network support, i.e. can't connect to the web/web server/DNS server oracle sever or whatever etc this all counts as experience in "support" & towards moving onwards and upwards.

To be honest it is very rare indeed to go from getting a degree straight into a networking or even desktop support unless you get a job in a company's graduate programme where they fast track you over a 2 year programme.

I've recently got a network job which is what I've always wanted to do since I first touched a router at college in 2000 but it has taken me to get a 3 year degree and 5 years work experience. If you go straight into a networking job there will be huge knowledge gaps, despite having a degree. Although I had a degree when I started working I realised I didn't really know much at all but the theory did help me understand why certain issues arose. I got to my current job by the following

2000 - 2003: Studied for BSc Network Computing Degree
    Nov 02 - June 03 Worked Voluntary at university doing basic 1st line "student helper" job which consisted of checking printer paper, basic MS Office queries from students, CD burning queries, logon problem/password queries
    June 03 - Nov 03 Call logger new company
    Nov 03 - Feb 05 1st line helpdesk
    Feb 05 - present Field support
    Sep 07 Start as a Network Analyst

In the beginning take what you can get as exp is the key (sorry I know this has already been drilled into you but it's the harsh reality). After you rack up a few years experience and have the certs you will be in demand as opposed to having to hunt for a job.

One last thing to remember is IT is a flexible industry where many people go from doing one type of work to something completely different. Many IT managers look for methodical thinkers and if they have all the skills on the job spec then even better!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

malcybood
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the most knowledgeable windows chap in our company has worked support for 2 years solid. Everyone always calls him with windows issues. He also know's his networking, even though his CCNA has expired. What does support teach you?....One word, Users. Yup, you learn as Malcy said to deal with the users. Tbh at the site my colleague works its run like a tight ship, no tickets left open for more than a day, so if hes bored he just makes problems and fixes them. Or proposes better operations, even if they fall on deaf ears. Im liking support simply because my windows and desktop skills are lacking, I learn new stuff frequently. I like to be able to combine my networking knowledge with my windows troubleshooting, always looking up and down the layers...its great.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    dave_ne1dave_ne1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Helpdesk support is where I learnt the majority of my skills both technical and customer service. You will pick up things from collegues, training and just fixing/playing with issues yourself. Any I.T related experience will help you in the long term
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If desktop support is something you have been looking at potentially, I would personally go the mobile PC repair route and get real experience working on PC's and interfacing with the customer directly.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Consider the company, some companies will have chances to advance. I would choose the job that is more focussed on growth and employee development. And of course... pay
    -Daniel
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you think your a caliber network person, a little bit of bullshit would work, as long you get your feet inside that field, then it's up to you to make sure you survive.

I would stay away from helpdesk if I were you with the certification you have I'm pretty sure your just not looking at the right places, customer service just always wear a smile be nice and in everything you do always come up with something positive, and you'll be alright :)

You should be a Jr. or Mid lvl Network Engineer.

-my 2 cents-
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    IMO you should take the helpdesk position, since their might be potential for you to move up in their IT Dept, atleast deals with systems/users/IT structure, etc, rather then the PC repair shop/bench work whatever it is. If you do good enough they will move you up to level 2 which is desktop support, and if you do good there who knows where you might end up, plus you will get real world business skills/knowledge. So take the the HelpDesk and move up as fast as you can, just in my opinion, atleast thats what i'm trying to do right now heh, tier 1 help desk, however i want to move to level 2 fast b/c i hate sitting at my desk while the level 2 guys get to go to the user computer and fix, while i'm left to listen to angry customers yelling on the phone, and trying to get them to calm down enough, *sigh* but, i guess good things come to those who are patient, i mean we all have to start somewhere right...

good luck,

win2k4
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about any other area, but most helpdesk positions here in Florida pays $10 to $11 per hour. On top of it the last company I worked for a few months ago wanted the IT people with degrees and certs to train people who came in with little knowledge. They had these people to sit with us and listen on how to troubleshoot issues for IBM employees. Although I liked a lot of it, I just think that a lot of companies don't pay helpdesk people enough. I mean if I have student loans to pay back or spent money to get my certifications at least give me enough to pay my bills. It's not all about the money, however I don't want to work two jobs to make ends meet. I think in Florida we don't get paid enought. Here in the area I reside you will find more helpdesk jobs than anything. Besides, the area is very well known for telemarketing and call center jobs. They are all over the place.