Options

Netscreen Default Route Preference

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
I read on the KB that the lower router id (the id that the netscreen assigns when a route is added manually or automatically) will take preference, even if the preference and metric numbers are the same. However, for some reason on a customer netscreen I was working on the higher router id took preference when the preference number and metric were the same. The only difference being the latest default route added was added with the permenent tag.

Anyone experienced this problem before?

...Ohh btw it takes a few minutes after adding the second default route before it starts using it, its very strange and I can only put it down to being the fact its added as static permement.

Cheers,
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    I read on the KB that the lower router id (the id that the netscreen assigns when a route is added manually or automatically) will take preference, even if the preference and metric numbers are the same. However, for some reason on a customer netscreen I was working on the higher router id took preference when the preference number and metric were the same. The only difference being the latest default route added was added with the permenent tag.

that is the answer Pash.
    the (permanent) default route will make any router id took the preference.
    simply because it has more "efficient and faster" routing.

if you have the chance - try to eliminate the default route --> that box wont have the preference.
    i've read this somewhere - but not remember exactly.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pash wrote:

that is the answer Pash.
    the (permanent) default route will make any router id took the preference.
    simply because it has more "efficient and faster" routing.

if you have the chance - try to eliminate the default route --> that box wont have the preference.
    i've read this somewhere - but not remember exactly.

cheers.

Thanks for the conformation rossonieri. It turned out that the route we added also had problems at the gateway switch, no traffic was going through at all. much pain to finally fix icon_sad.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It turned out that the route we added also had problems at the gateway switch, no traffic was going through at all. much pain to finally fix

wow... that is bad - considering configuring a netscreen was also a pain "compares to pix".

ya - i also got a not-smooth week,
    this spam firewall thing - and WAN compression/acceleration.
    but i think thats us - we do the work..

pending my free JNCIA-ER thing...

cheers... icon_wink.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    ScreenieScreenie Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I never would use permenant on a default route. I meens the route will stay active, even when the outgoing interface goes down. If you have two default routes, the lower priority route never will become active......

greetz,

Screenie