Salary negotiation

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
Ok here is my situation. I am currentley searching for a new a cereer as a network engineer. The only problem I'm having is salary negotiations. Should I ask for something in the top range for my experince/skill range? Will this make them back off and look for someone else who will do it for less money, or do you think they will try to make a lower offer and meet in the middle? I know what the average is for my experience/skills, but if I ask for the average, they might try to lower it even more. I'm just a little confused on how the whole salary negotiation should go. Any advice would be appreciated.
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I think you are confusing negotiations with salary requirements. Have you been offered a job? If not then you are referring to what you expect to be paid. How much experience do you have. Do you have any degrees? Do you have any certifications besides CCNA. CCNA is entry level network tech at best unless you have years of experience behind it. There are sites devoted to this type of discussion also. Keep in mind, its not a negotiation until someone makes you an offer. Until then its just salary requirement.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I know the difference. I have an offer for a network engineer position. Currently I don't have any other certifications, but I do have six years of experience to back it up and I don't see what that has to do with my question. I'm not someone who just went and got a CCNA with hopes of making the big bucks! What I am asking about is salary negotiation, now that a job has been offered, not salary requierments which usually come along with a contract position. I just have never have done a salary negotiation before and would like a little advice.
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    i dont know in ur case i dont think i would negociate just take the job and grow with it, not alot of offers as a network enginier come to ofter some if u think about to much someone would else would take it in a snap...
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always kind of get a feel for it this way:

What range did the position offer, if any?
    What am I currently making - because they may ask or find out themselves.
    What do I want, realistically?
    And as you mentioned, what is considered average for my experience, position, skills, etc. in this location?

One tip:
    Even if the "norm" for the position you are offered is say 70-85K, but in your current job you were only making 50K, don't ask for the 85K. They may have offered you the job because everyone else they interviewed were already making 80K and they wanted to keep their costs down and figured you might hire on at 65K with the potential for fast growth.

It's real hard for us to answer that question as all situations have so many variables it's hard to make a judgement call. Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Thats what I was kind of thinking sprkymrk. I don't wanna high ball it and they change their mind, I also don't wanna low ball it and screw myself out of some money. They origanlly said salary was based on experience. After interview they contacted me and said they were offering a position and would discuss salary. I think I'll just go at it open minded and see what they have to offer, hey they may not even be willing to negotiate once I get there. Just wanted to be prepared for it![/quote]
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Ok here is my situation. I am currentley searching for a new a cereer as a network engineer. The only problem I'm having is salary negotiations. Should I ask for something in the top range for my experince/skill range? Will this make them back off and look for someone else who will do it for less money, or do you think they will try to make a lower offer and meet in the middle? I know what the average is for my experience/skills, but if I ask for the average, they might try to lower it even more. I'm just a little confused on how the whole salary negotiation should go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Understand this, you want an employer who will hire you for your skills not an employer looking for cheap labor. If you are at a point of negotiating wages typically it's a sign the employer likes you and will work with you on salaries. Negotiate above what you will accept and let them counter offer.
    Thanks for the advice, just a little nervous about asking in the high range. You are probably right if they want to talk about salary they probably are interested and willing to negotiate. Thanks for all your advice guys I'll keep it in mind.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do a search on the internet and you should able to find some type of salary chart. Then you compared with your local salary and position requirement. Just don't go crazy on high salary.

A M+1 rule that my buddy told me before. I don't know who told him that, but used the median range + 10%... Then you play around it. However, you better be very good on persuade people. Be strong and confident, and show who you really are.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jesus Christ, Aim high! Aim really really high, don't worry about it. The worst that is going to happen is they are going to make a counter-offer, and you go from there.

If you start low your going to finish low, thats it. They may already have in mind what the maximum is they are willing to pay you, but they aren't going to offer it if you start under it!

Aim high, and they will probably offer you less. That's the whole game of negotiation. If you aren't willing to play the game, then you have lost it already. And that will realllly cheese you off later down the road...
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Agreed, when it comes to Salary aim high. Anything with the title "Administrator" or "Engineer" in the IT business means 3 things.

Underpaid
    Overworked
    and underappreciated

If you are going to have to deal with this day to day you might as well get paid for it. :)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree always negotiate the higher the better!
    Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunatley I just found out that I will not be able to start a new position icon_sad.gif Well, I guess someone else will get the job. I guess I will have more time to work on my CCNP before I get back on the market!!!!!
  • szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man that sucks......dont tell me it was because you were trying to negotiated too high or too below?

But you know what, just keep studying and prayin and those job offers will soon start coming
    "Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."
    No it had nothing to do with the new job. Personal issue.......