Just got back from SQL training.... Amazed..

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
So I just went down to Atlanta for four 8 hour day courses on SQL customizing and advanced customizing..

To give you a little background, I am a windows admin and dabble a little in SQL.

First day of class was pretty basic. What commands do, the do's and dont's etc.
Second day, using select statements, imports, exports, where statements etc.
Third Day, creating triggers, stored procedures etc
Four day, integrating SQL scripting with custom applications.

By the 3rd day the class size went down from 20+ students to 8 people.

Our professor has been in the SQL business for well over 20+ years and has customized/made scripts for over 100,000+ business's. This guy was flat amazing! I can't give enough emphasis on how well a teacher this guy was and how technically advanced he is. He lives and breaths this stuff.

When I say I dabble in SQL, I literally mean that. I can create triggers, stored procedures, some custom scripts, create some front end application to tie in with the sql script and crystal reports etc, but this guy was just flat amazing. I was sitting beside another student in the class that was very well known by everyone in class. I guess he had been in for about 15years and he does most of the programming of scripts for many of the smaller businesses, again another awesome person to meet and share experiences with.

Not to go on and on, but this was a great networking experience and after learning how they write their code and what they want to use it for, I was able to explain a few tips of my own using batch files to better assist with their coding.

It was great being able to sit down with these guys and ask them what cool features they may want/need etc and then be able to make them come real using my windows experience and them being able to help me out in just the opposite using SQL.

I managed to hand out all my business cards and happened to get a few job offers in doing so. Unfortunantly I am not looking to move anytime soon. However, I mainly just wanted to let everyone know that there is some amazing talent out there and always great room for learning. My instructor was even kind enough to do some custom coding for me on the side and not charge me a dime, he was then even more kind to explain to me why my code was not working.

IT Training/Meetings like this need to happen more often for employees of all levels.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! I love it when training classes exceed our expectations.

So how was the transition from Alaska to Atlanta, GA? Did the humidity bother you? icon_eek.gif

I assume the weather in Alaska is mild this time of year, but if you were in GA this past week it was like a steam bath.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Keep working with SQL so you don't forget it. I'm completely self-taught in SQL, and I only get to use it about once every six months or so. I literally have to remember everything that I already knew every time I have a new SQL project come along. Continually working in a language is the best way to learn and remember it. If you don't use it you loose it!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Awesome! I love it when training classes exceed our expectations.

So how was the transition from Alaska to Atlanta, GA? Did the humidity bother you? icon_eek.gif

I assume the weather in Alaska is mild this time of year, but if you were in GA this past week it was like a steam bath.
    still feels like a steambath, lol.

only now we've got some cool lightening (last night) and some rain.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I think it was like 100+ when I left and 70+ humidity? Where I am from its only 70 degrees and like 10percent humidity. So it was a BIG adjustment. I was in the midst of passing out from heat stroke/dehydration the last morning but I managed to fall on my bed in my hotel room before I completely blacked out. icon_lol.gif

Lets just say between the jet lag and the extreme heat differences I am exhausted and I dont feel like making that trip anytime soon.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    70% humidity? nah, 100% humidity.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1000% humidity. Miserable.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would you happen to know the cost of the training? I would love to be able to talk my company into sending me for a sql course?
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Since we are a partner for their product we get a BIG discount. I think we paid $125 for an 8 hour course. I took 4, 8 hour courses. So it was roughly around $500 for the whole thing, then there was the airfair, and hotel stay. The total was around $2500. I would assume the price of the classes for a non partner would be extremely more expensive. I will ask my friend Ann who works for Harvard what she paid per course to give you a better idea.