unemployment benefit

taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
i have a frend of mine who got a job for 5 months there and now he is told that company will be closed next month. this company will be merged to a new company under new companies' name. the boss is trying to transfer him to a new company for a month. the boss even said he would need to compete a few new hire guys there and he will be told to keep or let go in about a month later.

I m like he will not get any unemployment benefit coz he will be transfered to a new company thus applying for a new company's policy, not from the old one. if he is told not being kept a month later, he will not get any thing good. Is there any unemployment benefit in this siutation? is a wise to ask the company to let go of him now so my friend is able to get unemployment benefit? when he is on job's hunting, shoud he put business closed in the resume? Should he ask the boss now for a recommendation letter? how about my friend's vacation time and benefits?

i m sorry to hear my friend's situation. and i m now trying to help him out. icon_sad.gif

thanks guys.
mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Depends on your State.

Some states one needs to work 'x' number of weeks for 1 company to qualify. After that point, the may apply and draw benefits. However, the laws have changed and it's usually more hassle then it's worth to collect a few dollars (meaning you can go get a new job a minimum wage and earn more without ruining your benefit pull until absolutely necessary).

Your friend's best option....do the research himself for his exact situation with your local office.

IMNSHO...save unemployment for a time when you can absolutely NOT find any work...and there is always work..just depends on what one is willing to do. You're better off working then drawing a gov't check.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went through a merger and for purposes of benefits they carried over the time employed with the former companies.

It really depends on the state and the company. He needs to talk with his HR manager instead of relying on his manager or anyone else who doesn't manage stuff like that for their job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    blargoe wrote:
    I went through a merger and for purposes of benefits they carried over the time employed with the former companies.

It really depends on the state and the company. He needs to talk with his HR manager instead of relying on his manager or anyone else who doesn't manage stuff like that for their job.

thanks guys.

may you explain more deeper? which HR manager? the former or new company?
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start with the former company since they're going to be most familiar with him.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    blargoe wrote:
    I would start with the former company since they're going to be most familiar with him.

Agreed.

Don't take the baggage forward though.....I did run into an HR woman who REALLY knew her stuff at a new company and she actually provided beneficial assistance and was the first time I ran into an HR person with a clue.

Start with the old, but the new may prove useful too.

Best wishes
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?