Options

What am I worth?

doubleupdoubleup Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently looking for IT jobs that require a Secret clearance, as I have an active one. I'm considering signing on with a company in the Boulder, CO area. IBM has a current interest in me, however the company is only offering me $40k.

I have over 4 years experience and training in the military (my job was 3C0X1 in the US Air Force), A+ certified, Associates in Information Technology, will have a B.S. in December and the job requires a Secret clearance. I've been outta the game for a few years doing other stuff (mainly school) and want to get back into the IT scene. I've forgotten a lot of stuff that I had learned, but think it could easily be refreshed. I'd have to move out to CO as I currently live in CA, but want to move!

Is $40k for my situation too cheap? I told them I want more, but the company is an outsource (like Robert Half technology). I know the clearance adds another 5-10k annually, so what would a normal job like this pay? I think it's for a Desktop Spt position with IBM, but the company hasn't told me the exact job description/title!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would expect more than 40 K, specially you having those credentials, but don't forget you can always negotiate. They always try to offer you the lowest salary, then they have a range of what they are willing to pay, hopefully when you negotiate you hit the high spot of that range.

my 2 cents
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There are a lot of factors in salary, but I havn't seen many desk top support jobs paying higher than $40k. Like I said it all depends on the market and the location, but I don't think $40k is low for a desk top support position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say that's about typical
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say 40-45k is about average for help desk over here in DC area.

I'm making 27k myself doing entry level stuff, about to be moved to help desk with a small raise.

Friends have asked for my resume and said they could get me a job making 40-45k no problem at their companies. Even some of the people there have no prior experience and are making that much.

I'm just sticking it out a bit longer because I've been here for about 10 months now and wanna hit that 12-month mark before I jump ship.

Sometimes I wanna kick my own ass for not leaving because I'm shorting myself a good chunk of pay but I figure in the end the 1-year on my resume will count for more. Maybe I'm just being stupid though, who knows?

I'd expect to make a little over 50k if I had a security clearance in my area.

Not sure how Colorado averages are though.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What's going on doubleup? Yeah, $40k sounds about right for Secret. I was offered a desktop support job here on base in Vegas so you may want to check around because $40k goes a lot farther in Vegas than in Colorado. I'd also suggest looking at positions in San Antonio, TX if you want to move away but don't have a preference. I'm looking there right now and there are a ton of military IT jobs for all classifications. Although I'm sure they're all wanting to hire a 2e2 over a 3c0 icon_wink.gif Just kidding.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    iDShaDoW wrote:
    I'd say 40-45k is about average for help desk over here in DC area.

I'm making 27k myself doing entry level stuff, about to be moved to help desk with a small raise.

Friends have asked for my resume and said they could get me a job making 40-45k no problem at their companies. Even some of the people there have no prior experience and are making that much.

I'm just sticking it out a bit longer because I've been here for about 10 months now and wanna hit that 12-month mark before I jump ship.

Sometimes I wanna kick my own ass for not leaving because I'm shorting myself a good chunk of pay but I figure in the end the 1-year on my resume will count for more. Maybe I'm just being stupid though, who knows?

I'd expect to make a little over 50k if I had a security clearance in my area.

Not sure how Colorado averages are though.

I think you should go ahead and take one of those other jobs. This early in the game, being with a single company for one year isn't as important as the number of years you have put in to your career. Now, if you hop around your next several jobs at the drop of a hat, then maybe that could be perceived as a negative, but if these jobs that your friends can get you are jobs that you see yourself working for longer than a year, then I don't see the problem. When you get to a Sr. Admin level like myself, recent job longevity is more of a factor (in my experience) than it is in your situation.

Just my opinion. I hate to see you pass up a better opportunity because of something a misguided guidance counselor may have told you in the past.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    doubleupdoubleup Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, for your replies. I was thinking $40k is a little bit low, but right now at my current job I'm only pulling in $27k (casual at Post Office). I've only got serious about putting my resume out now for the last few weeks and I've got several bites, all of which seem to be consulting companies, no direct hires. I'm going to interview tomorrow with IBM just in case, if nothing else it'll add interview experience...see how much of the stuff I can remember in detail that I have on my resume icon_rolleyes.gif

The recruiter said they would be able to negotiate "a little bit" and maybe offer relocation assistance if IBM decides they want to hire me. We shall see. IBM wouldn't look too bad on my resume and it'll refresh a lot of the stuff I've forgotten over the last couple years...if nothing else keep my security clearance active..maybe even pull my TS out of the expiration tank.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    doubleup wrote:

but the company is an outsource (like Robert Half technology).

Thanks in advance.

You know why they are called ROBERT-HALF right?....They take half your paycheck. Find a job that is not outsourced and you will find the wage you are looking for.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    I don't think $40,000 in Boulder is going to go very far. The cost of living there is probably cheaper than most places in California, but it's still pretty bad of salary.com's cost of living wizard is to be believed (http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/layouthtmls/coll_metrodetail_217.html).

It'd be uncomfortable for me to live on that salary in my current city (minneapolis), and Boulder's cost of living is about 22% higher than Minneapolis accoridng to salary.com. Now, I could definitely get by on that amount, but it would deplete a lot of money that would normally be earmarked for savings and long-term investments.

After you factor in the cost of living, this is basically an entry-level helpdesk salary. If that is not the job you signed up for, then don't take it...I definitely wouldn't recommend moving for a job likethis, but it's obviously your call. :)
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Your only worth what someone else is going to pay you. :D

I have found this out the hard way. You may feel you are worth a lot more, the only way to make that happen is apply else where, where they feel the same way.
  • Options
    CkingCking Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    doubleup wrote:
    Thanks guys, for your replies. I was thinking $40k is a little bit low, but right now at my current job I'm only pulling in $27k (casual at Post Office). I've only got serious about putting my resume out now for the last few weeks and I've got several bites, all of which seem to be consulting companies, no direct hires. I'm going to interview tomorrow with IBM just in case, if nothing else it'll add interview experience...see how much of the stuff I can remember in detail that I have on my resume icon_rolleyes.gif

The recruiter said they would be able to negotiate "a little bit" and maybe offer relocation assistance if IBM decides they want to hire me. We shall see. IBM wouldn't look too bad on my resume and it'll refresh a lot of the stuff I've forgotten over the last couple years...if nothing else keep my security clearance active..maybe even pull my TS out of the expiration tank.
    what does it mean exactly?
    come on . those who knows 802.11,16.opnet,ad hoc are preferred.
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would not shy away from IBM, they tend to take good care of their employees and it looks great on a resume that you have worked for Big Blue. Good luck with the interview.
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    how much time left do you have left on your active clearnace? This may be another big factor. I would bite the bullet for the time being to at least have your clearance. I know a Secret is good for 1 years, but I don't know how many years it is still considered active once you are not longer using it. Check into that.