<b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
WIP: Network+
Next: CCNA

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    IMO,

Moving around from business to business has been the best experience for me. When you stay in a position/company too long you are only then valuable to that certian company or service technology because you are limiting yourself from the other programs/hardware that other companies use.

On the other hand, if you are working with a company that is spending a decent amount of money into their IT department then you will not have to worry about these issues. The longest I have lasted at any one company has been 4 years, most only 2. This has to do with either A. I have always reached the top position too quickly and became bored, or B. The job didn't pay enough for my technical skills.

As far as schools are concerned...

Most schools have a tight budget and take a long time to process any important IT decisions. I have a contact at Harvard and she absolutely hates the politics there. She is doing the job of two totally seperate departments due to employees leaving and she isn't being compensated for it. This usually goes the same for State or Federal positions. With that being said, if you are looking for experience and a lot of it, I would personally apply for a Private Sector Position. The down side to private sector sometimes can be pay. Private sector isn't as picky and they are willing to take the lowest bidder per say for the same position.

Again, this is just personal experience from my market area, so it could vary depending on your location. However, I have NEVER been bored in a big private sector environment. There is always something to do. You may not like what projects you have been assigned, but there is a ton of experience and formal training to be had.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    IMO,

Moving around from business to business has been the best experience for me. When you stay in a position/company too long you are only then valuable to that certian company or service technology because you are limiting yourself from the other programs/hardware that other companies use.

Exactly the reason I love consulting.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks