Options

Asking for a raise

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
I'm looking for some tips on asking my boss for a raise

my reasoning is

1. I've been here a year and my job changed form supporting 50-60 users to over 700 now

2. I've achieved my MCSA.

I knights the biggest thing is I started off very small supporting only one company which had a separate IT dept but the depts merged and I became part of a much large entity and assumed more work and more responsibility

any tips on going about this

Comments

• Options
    bowulfbowulf Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would either send my boss an e-mail or talk face-to-face, and document exactly what you have listed here. Focus on the additional responsibilities that you have taken on and the value you are providing to the organization (reduced man hours). You might even ask for where your boss sees your position progressing in the next two years. That way he knows it isn't just about the additional money, but you are looking for more experience as well. I wish you the best.
    Kent A.
    MCSE - Win2k & Win2k3, MCSA - Win2k3
    MCITP - Vista (EST) & Windows 2008, SA
    MCTS - Vista; Windows Server 2008 -- Active Directory(640), Network(642), Application Infrastructure (643)
    VMware Certified Professional (VCP) - 4,3.x,2.x
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would never ask for a raise in an email. I think thats a sure way not to get it. You can ask him to talk in an email, but definatley talk about the raise in person. You can make your case better, and its always easier to say no to an email than to a person. Just my opinion though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Do you get an annual performance evaluation? Usually a good eval comes with a little more than the usual cost-of-living increase. Policies on pay increases and evals are set by the Human Resources department and not your manager, so check with HR first.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Always approach this as presenting what you have brought to the company and not what you are owed for your work....same thing, different packaging and one that your boss is more likely to be able to justify a raise with. So instead of "well I now have to work much harder to support X extra clients" present it as "I've helped us grow to the point where we are supporting X extra clients"...Spin it a little, you've done the work so it's not lying. Definitely push the fact you have worked above and beyond in getting certified, again don't present it as meaning they have to give you more cash since you have a nice new cert on the wall but emphasize the work you put in to getting it and if possible point out some ways you have used this knowledge to improve your network. Lastly check out the job boards with similar jobs to your own in your area, find an average and if it's a lot higher than your current salary politely point this out, again you have to make it clear you don't want a raise just because others are getting a different rate but that perhaps HR needs to re-evaluate the value they place on your position and skills.

I had to do something like this recently as I had hired into my current position at near the bottom of the advertised range. That was my choice and I'm not blaming anyone else, I had my reasons (namely just having moved to the area). I worked my ass off since getting trained/certified and overhauled the network in the process. So I had a chat with my boss, he knew the work I'd done and I asked to have my salary re-evaluated just within the originally advertised range - this gave them a very easy way to justify a larger than normal raise to those higher up, they had already budgeted it. They in turn went out to the job boards and saw that the top of their range was reasonable for the area and all was good, no hard feelings on either side or accusations of greed etc. It's all just business so present your request as a business proposal, as if you had to sell them the idea of giving you a raise because you are worth it and not just because you need the money.

My $.02
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    thanks for the tips

I like the idea of spinning things although in my case I was brought into a large IT firm who already had existing Clients but when a guy left I actively sought my involvements

I'm gonna sit down and talk to my boss this week if possible
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Smallguy wrote:
    I'm looking for some tips on asking my boss for a raise

my reasoning is

1. I've been here a year and my job changed form supporting 50-60 users to over 700 now

2. I've achieved my MCSA.

I knights the biggest thing is I started off very small supporting only one company which had a separate IT dept but the depts merged and I became part of a much large entity and assumed more work and more responsibility

any tips on going about this

Yeah..Just say "Boss, I'm sure you're aware my responsibilities and work load has hugely increased. I was just wondering if you are actually waiting for me to ask for a f#%king raise or hoping I wouldn't mention anything to you or not even notice the additional 650 users on my plate?"