Options

Text book recommendation for Exam 70-270

ZeezmoZeezmo Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I have 2 questions to ask:
1. I am quite new to Microsoft certifications and I planning on working on MCSA Server 2003.
Does anyone know if I have to take the 2 core courses (Networking Systems 70-290, 70-291) first before taking the Client OS like 70-270 or 70-620?
Do I have to take the tests in the order above? Or just start with either 70-270 or 70-620?
Are there any rules on this?

2. Can you please recommend a good text book for 70-270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    Hi buddy ...

would recommend that you start via 270. MS Press is the Best if u decide onto it.
    gud luck !
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can take the exams in any order you like, you don't have to do one before another. (You just need to have done all the required tests for a particular certification, before they award you the credential.) As for a good textbook, I think the MS Press book for this exam is going to be your best bet, but I've heard a good number of people say they used the Sybex book as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ZeezmoZeezmo Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    I agree it is logical to start with WinXP. I am quite familiar with XP and I will be more comfortable with XP.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Complete newb to this myself. I just followed the logic, that Windows XP would be easier to learn than Windows 2003 server...

As far as the books, I opted for the Microsoft one, as it seemed to be the most complete from my two hours down at the book store. But I hear the questions are nothing like those on that test, and you need supplemental material in order to get a feel for the type of questions you will see on the exam.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    RobinMRobinM Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Having just passed today I would recommend the Microsoft Press book, make sure it comes with the Self Paced Training Kit CD ROM. Be sure to complete all the questions and practical bits through the book both sections of the book. Then use objective tests and practise tests on the CDROM as revision. It takes a bit to get the hang of how Microsoft lays everything out.

Supplement that with another resource such as the Sybex book or Internet resources.