Updates with technet

5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a laptop but no internet access at home to do windows updates,
Up untill about a month ago I had broadband at home and was updating etc,
Now that I'm living at a diffrent place I don't have the internet yet,
My workplace is veryyy uptight about plugging in external laptops (our systems manager is like Hitler himself... or herself in my case)
icon_twisted.gif - My workmate
icon_cry.gif - Me
We have a Technet subscription at work.

My question is,
- Firstly, does Technet send out windows updates on the subscription cds?
- Second, Is it possible to find out what updates I need to install to be up-to-date without having to connect to the network or internet?
icon_confused.gif

Thanks,
C:4
Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
-J.R.Purser

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A security scanner like Nessus (though Nessus is not all that good at scanning Windows boxes) or Harris STAT Guardian or the free MSBA tool would tell you.

Or you could search the Microsoft Update Catalog for updates to your OS since you've been offline. Downoload them at work and burn to CD or whatever.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp?allowv4cat=true
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Most of the updates associated with Windows Update are necessary only if you are connected to the Internet. You don't need to worry about installing critical or major Windows updates on a computer that is not connected to the Internet. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about updating your laptop until you actually get Internet service in your new place. At that point, you can run Windows Update on your laptop while safely sitting behind your firewall router.