Options

Opinions needed - Overseas IT

daedalusdaedalus Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently doing IT (in the general sense) for a small software development company. Being that we're around 20 employees in all, we have no formal IT department. I currently manage our Windows Small Business Server/Exchange Server, general office network, Avaya phone system, Linux website server, and general setup stuff for the programmers/QA department. I've been with the company for two years this September.

I'm going to start getting my certifications, will start with Network+, then A+, and then finally move towards the MCSE end of things. I think I'm going to also try for the FtOCC (Trixbox cert) and possibly the Security+ tests, though I'm not sure how valuable they are.

On to my question, I'm looking to try to move overseas and stretch my wings, so to speak. I'm currently here in the US, but I'd love to move over to the UK. I know that getting into the UK is going to be rough, at best, and I would love to know if anyone on the forums have gone this route before. If so what was the experience like?

As a side part to this, I would love to chat with folks who are already in the industry over there who might be able to shed some light on how the job opportunities look. Never hurts to network, right?

D.

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ireland is a better bet for IT (per capita anyway as it's the second biggest exporter of software in the world, not bad for a population of just under 4 million. IT is the main industry now). And you have the convenience of the vast majority being located in or around Dublin City. If you're interested head to www.boards.ie and post on the job section for specific advice (I haven't lived there for 5 years so I won't offer stale specifics).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Ireland is a better bet for IT (per capita anyway as it's the second biggest exporter of software in the world, not bad for a population of just under 4 million. IT is the main industry now). And you have the convenience of the vast majority being located in or around Dublin City. If you're interested head to www.boards.ie and post on the job section for specific advice (I haven't lived there for 5 years so I won't offer stale specifics).

I wouldn't advise going to Ireland at the moment as the economy is heading for a crash, lots of job losses at the moment, Dell,Xerox all laying people off, the property market bubble is in the process of exploding which will cause lots more unemployment.Lots of companies are relocating to SE Asia due to costs.Ireland may be the second biggest exporter of software in the world but that statement is very misleading, raw materials arrive in Ireland cd's, boxes, software,booklets etc.. Irish companies put all the components together in a box and export to other countries, so being the second largest exporter of software is not as good as it sounds.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Actually they do a lot of the development too. But you're right about the property market, it's nuts.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would rather move to Irland instead of UK......
  • Options
    For those who suggested Ireland vs the UK, what is the general state of the industry over there? Obviously it must be doing well several people mention it, but any more details than that? Also is Dublin the main place for the IT industry or are there other cities that I should look at? And lastly has anyone done the move like I'm looking to do, if so how was it?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With your experience and knowledge why would you want to move overseas? theres a lot of companies here in the US. if you want to travel, maybe you can move to some other state.
  • Options
    Honestly? I have travelled overseas before, briefly in Germany and a bit longer in Greece. It is great to experience other cultures. Plus I'm a fan of history, and frankly the US history just isn't interesting to me, too new. I guess it may be a bit more interesting being on the east coast, but even then what's a couple hundred years compared to a couple thousand?

D.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    well, the pay in europe is very different than in US, plus the hours, and the rent and everything else. As for greece, i lived there for 10 years. i know how its like, its very hard to find a job there. everyone sits around in the cafes and goes partying everyday.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    TheFORCE wrote:

everyone sits around in the cafes and goes partying everyday.

What can be better than partying and going cafes???? Umm, now I know where to go and live.

:)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i live and work in england. im 100% english!

i cant really comment about irelandbecause i havent worked there. but from what i know the economy in britain is alot better than ireland. there are alot of oppurtunites in the south of england that pay the big bucks just like most other developed countries.

i know this is abit off - but the property market is in a huge problem! everything is so expensive. i think the average house price in england is roughly £250k. thats gbp but if you live in the big areas of england like london, manchester etc etc then you can easily add ALOT more money onto that average house price. i dont know if its the same in the US but its pretty bad here goto rightmove.co.uk to have a quick look and you'll know what i mean and if your used to your big houses in the US then dont come to europe! haha. renting is also a big problem because property is in big demand so prices are going up and up.

if i were to move i would goto canada/US/australia.

The UK is changing alot. there are alot of immigrants coming in from eastern europe from places like poland etc due to stupid EU laws and more "british" people are leaving so over`the next 10-20 years the UK is gona change alot. an example is where polish ppl come over they are willing to work for alot less than me and you would and its ultimately driving wages down in some work areas like builders and electricians.

but on a more positive note it is a great country and you can come and dispise the EU just like the rest of us! haha

whatever you do i hope it works out for you
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Also remember that prices for IT support are dropping all over the world, especially in the UK. Several months agon now I saw a contracting PC support job for £6 / hour (roughly $12 US) which is absurd but shows that there are so many people still thinking IT is a big money making dream and will take low wages just to get the experience.

I now work for a very large, worldwide corporate providing IT services and I meet many US from other corporates that are based over here in the UK for typically 18 months. That might be a better way for you to go. They keep their usual salary and get an overseas bonus whilst being moved around to country after country if they are up for it. My company does the same once I have been there a few years and if a job comes up in another country I could quite easily apply if I am interested. The company actively encourage it too which I find bizarre.

Just jumping on a plane and hoping for the best will land you in a world of trouble unless you have a ton of money to see you through.
    Kam.