What was your first Windows version?

WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
Dinosaur Sightings: Windows splash screens from Windows 1.01 to Windows Vista

I've used Windows 3.1, NT 4.0 Worksation & Server and every version since then.
Yes we can, yes we can...

Comments

• matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    wanboy67 wrote:
    Dinosaur Sightings: Windows splash screens from Windows 1.01 to Windows Vista

I've used Windows 3.1, NT 4.0 Worksation & Server and every version since then.
    Brings back memories. I remember using Windows 3.1.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    95 was first for me.... I feel young!!!!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    My first MS based PC was running DOS 5 with Windows 3.1 :) Windows has really come along way.

-Ken
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows 95 was my first Windows experience...although I seem to remember playing Duke Nukem on my friend's Windows 3.1 machine.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    DOS 6.22 was the OS on my first computer, but that's not really Windows.

Windows 3.1 was my first, and I've used every version since except for NT 4 (couldn't play games on it :o )
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    2.x on an 64-shades of gray monitor. I think I still have the 5.25" installation floppies catching dust somewhere.

Not even in my dreams would I have imagined back then the company behind Windows would someday link and recommend my website: www.microsoft.com/learning/community/default.mspx :D
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first Windows-based computer was Windows 95. I had a friend who had Windows 3.1 which I used occasionally. Windows 95 was when I really got into computing and interested in computers. The good ole' AOL 3.0 days running off of a 2400 baud modem.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started with DOS and sorta moved into Windows 3.11. I hated 3.11 for the most part except solitaire so I still mostly used DOS until 95.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    windows 3.11 solitaire rocked on it icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    My trusty compaq preario 486 with Windows 3.1...... Ahh those were some days playing PIPEDREAM!!!!

None of this solitaire crap :p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    3.0 on a Packard Bell
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows 3.x, back then I used to play King's quest 6 and some other old games. I remember spending part of the night waiting for my modem to finish downloading a video game file...and it was quite pathetic. Nothing but pixels and moving a block around in what was suppose to be a dungeon. <_<

It was a family machine, so my family bought me my own PC for my birthday back in...I think 1996? It had a Pentium MMX processor and a copy of Riven that I played like mad.

When I was packing my things and preparing to move out of our house, I had the duty to take our old PC and throw it out. It made me sad to say goodbye. ;_;
    Now I wish I had kept it as a piece of history...though it'd take up room in my crowded apartment.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Back in 1987 I got a copy of Windows 1.0 from somewhere about the time that Windows 2.0 was released. I ran 1.0 on my Polo Microsystems PC clone and I was not very impressed with what I saw. It was much slower and more difficult to use than my favorite DOS shell, Norton Commander. I didn't think about MS Windows again until Windows 286 was released and I had to learn about writing code for it. I didn't start using Windows as my primary OS until v3.0 was released in 1990. That was also the same year I gave up UNIX programming and went entirely to Windows.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did not had a hard drive back then, so I use DOS as my operating system :P
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Apple IIe - 1983....then DOS 3; DOS 3.3 and finally Windows 3.1 91 or 92 icon_scratch.gif

My Apple I configured to run DOS so I didn't need to go back to the computer labs in College. Was a shame to part with that whole thing icon_sad.gif 4 drive...2 for Apple; 2 for IBM/PC. Green mono-tone monitor....ah....the good days :)

I finally decided to get something 'smaller' and upgraded into PB with Windows (see above).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, if we're talking about non-Windows then, my first computer was a Macintosh Classic. I went straight from that to Windows 95.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3.1 - but I did have an Amiga for a few weeks many years previously
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    3.1 was my first windws experience

but my first computer was a Vic 20 with a cassette tape drive.... it rocked
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first Windows experience was with Windows 95. Before that I used NeXT and OS2 Warp systems in the computer labs at school. When I worked on some Windows 3.1 systems, I was amazed at how much they looked like NeXT and OS2 Warp.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    well i would say windows 3.1 but i actually work in dos too back in 1994 i was learning qbasic and some other programming software, 3.1 really didnt cough my eye until windows 95 and doom icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif i was still trying to learn the internal an external dos commands which i never actually used icon_lol.gif
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    95 was my first. I'm a youngen as well.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Not even in my dreams would I have imagined back then the company behind Windows would someday link and recommend my website: www.microsoft.com/learning/community/default.mspx :D

wow - thats new to me,
    CONGRATULATION to TECHEXAMS :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Windows 3.1 but my first computer was a Commodore 64 icon_eek.gif
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Windows 3.1 First PC was a 286
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.