Options

CISCO 4000 AND 2900 Routers

japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just starting out with Cisco and had a question : I have a routers 4000 and 2900 and three switches - I believe 2 of them are 2500 and one is an earlier model(not so sure)... Can I get by these for a lab study for CCNA.
I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I think you may have the router and switch models mixed up, but if i'm right, you have a 4000 and a 2500 router, and two 2900 switches (either 2912, 2924 or 2950 perhaps?).

You should have enough switches, but you may want to get another router, possibly a 26xx series and make sure at least one of the routers have 2 serial interfaces so that you can setup one as a frame-relay switch to simulate frame-relay...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying that.
    I went back to more carefully look at what I have and confirm that I have 2 routers and 3 switches broken down as follows:-

1 - Cisco 2501 Router with 2 serial ports
    1 - Cisco 4000 Router with 4 serial ports(marked 0 to 3)
    1 - Catalyst 2900 Series Switch
    2 - Catalyst 1900 Series Switch

Does anybody know why a third router needed? Thanks.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The third router could be used to set up a frame relay network with one router acting as the frame switch. There is a good frame relay lab on this site you should check out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can use the 4000 router as the frame-relay switch and get a 26xx router (to do inter-vlan routing), but there has been some discussion on whether a 26xx is really needed for that purpose, so you may want to do some searching in the forum for some info...

Also, the 1900 switch is no longer covered in the CCNA...so you may want to think about getting a 2950 series switch as well...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    I just picked up a Cisco 3620 router, it seemed to have only one serial interface, I don't know if this would be an issue or not.
    Since the 2 1900 series I have are no longer covered(that means I can't use them), then I guess I have to continue looking for other switches. Anyone wants to sell me a 2950 for cheap icon_smile.gif ?