Options

How to connect to Console Port ? Someone please help

szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im new to cisco stuff and have bought like couple of routers and one switch before i actually start studying. I was wayy excited to study so I bought the router and switch before I began studying.

So today my Cisco 2501 and 2524 arrived in the mail, along with the Cisco 2924 Switch. What it also came with was the regular Power Cables, as well as one DTE/DCE Cable. And then a DB15 -> RJ45 Connector. ALl of them turn on, and are good power wise.

So far, pretty good. All the Stuff turns on. Bad Part: I dont know how to connect to them. This is where I need someone who knows more to help.

So basically what Im trying to do is: connect to a router so I can erase the configuration, and begin over. This is what Im trying to do

-Since all three have rj-45 console ports, Connect one end into console port, the other into my laptop(using the regular ethernet cable used for connecting PC to Router). I use wireless for my internet, so I have that port free. Im trying to use hyperterminal to connect to it, but since im connected through ethernet - it asks for hostname/ip which I dont know.

So I goto command prompt, type in ipconfig to see what ip is connected my interface, and for LAN port 1 it says the IP connected in 169.254.210.217 with a Subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
My interfaces have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. So I dont think thats the problem. And now when I use hyperterminal and type in that address, and try to connect to port 23. It doesnt work. Please Help I dont have a Rj45 to serial port cable, and my laptop does not even have a serial port connection. How can I connect.

Will a regular ethernet cable used for connecting PC to Router, work here, or Do I need some special Cable. If possible, could you give me multiple ways to connect, so I can atleast start messing with them. Just lookin at em' makes me wanna study so I can learn to use em, ya know?

Thanks.

Here is some Data so you guys can help. I can ping the router:

PS C:\Users\homeuser> ping 169.254.210.217

Pinging 169.254.210.217 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 169.254.210.217: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 169.254.210.217:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
PS C:\Users\homeuser>

PS C:\Users\homeuser> ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::adbf:410a:db8d:b170%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.47
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::41fe:b0c:a6c2:d2d9%8
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.210.217
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

My Telnet attempt
PS C:\Users\homeuser> telnet 169.254.210.217
Connecting To 169.254.210.217...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
PS C:\Users\homeuser>
"Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."

Comments

• Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    You need to connect one end of the console port to the router and one end to the serial port of your computer.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Ok I just looked and the type of cable Im using is a Straight-through ethernet cable. The places Ive read, it says that you can connect router and pc using rj45 cables.

So I dont think, the only way I can connect is through Serial Cables.
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Yes, but to connect to the console port, you use a rollover cable, not an ethernet cable.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Man this suckks.

So what should I get then to be able to connect Cisco Router to my laptop. A Laptop which does not have a serial port. I looked on ebay for Cisco Rollover cables, and it will take them like 3-5 days to get here. Cisco 2501.

And Im guessing its not possible to use a ethernet rollover cable. You know where the pins are switched.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Roll-over cable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_cable

You can create your own quite easily; if you are into making your own cables.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    szkizzer wrote:
    Man this suckks.

So what should I get then to be able to connect Cisco Router to my laptop. A Laptop which does not have a serial port. I looked on ebay for Cisco Rollover cables, and it will take them like 3-5 days to get here. Cisco 2501.

And Im guessing its not possible to use a ethernet rollover cable. You know where the pins are switched.
    Use a serial to USB converter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107956

I use the same setup since my laptop doesn't have a serial port either.
  • Options
    Ok well, I bought that USB-to-Serial connector thing, and also bought ipod 30g for pops b'day. And also got that rollover cable made for cisco from ebay.... i hope those two things come together so I can get some Stuff Done.

Wanna get this CCNA over with. Ill give myself a month..NO MORE.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're having trouble connecting your Router to your laptop, I don't know how likely it is that you will pass CCNA within a month. This is material covered in the INTRO exam (if you go the 2 exam route), so you may have a lot of work ahead of you.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't taken the exam yet...but that's the harsh truth and the harsh reality...

Basics, like cable types, lengths, their uses....if you dont know that, it will be a struggle to get it in a month....
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    You can use a cross-over cable from your laptop's nic, via the router's ehternet port, but you will have to use Telnet, but his can only be configured after you get a rollover cable and preconfigure the router....good luck
    Arrakis
  • Options
    I haven't taken the exam yet...but that's the harsh truth and the harsh reality...

Basics, like cable types, lengths, their uses....if you dont know that, it will be a struggle to get it in a month....
    If you're having trouble connecting your Router to your laptop, I don't know how likely it is that you will pass CCNA within a month. This is material covered in the INTRO exam (if you go the 2 exam route), so you may have a lot of work ahead of you.

Easy fellas . icon_cool.gif That was a Joke. I prefer to take my time and know it inside out, than to just study the material for the sole goal of passing the test. Afterall, you get tested once at the center.... but you get tested everyday when ure employed for being cisco certified . :D

I was sort of frustrated because I wanted to get my cisco console'd into as soon as they arrived. So me saying a month and no more was in anger. But hey, im all happy now. Cause now ill have the cables and I can mess around with all of them till it hurts. Especially the 2610 - cause IOS 12.3 is sweeet. Especially with those 4 port Modules.
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    szkizzer wrote:

Easy fellas . icon_cool.gif That was a Joke. I prefer to take my time and know it inside out, than to just study the material for the sole goal of passing the test. Afterall, you get tested once at the center.... but you get tested everyday when ure employed for being cisco certified . :D

I was sort of frustrated because I wanted to get my cisco console'd into as soon as they arrived. So me saying a month and no more was in anger. But hey, im all happy now. Cause now ill have the cables and I can mess around with all of them till it hurts. Especially the 2610 - cause IOS 12.3 is sweeet. Especially with those 4 port Modules.

You will want to get yourself a switch rack, and min. 3 routers, and 2 switches. I purchased 2 2950s, but i am sorry i didn't get a 3rd, so i could play around with STP in a 3 switch enviornment.

Good luck.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    357357 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    szkizzer wrote:
    Ok well, I bought that USB-to-Serial connector thing, and also bought ipod 30g for pops b'day. And also got that rollover cable made for cisco from ebay.... i hope those two things come together so I can get some Stuff Done.

Wanna get this CCNA over with. Ill give myself a month..NO MORE.

I hope your USB-to-Serial connector would work. I had mine bought in local store before but unfortunately all them doesn't work with cisco routers and switches. There's some tested brand like keyspan USA-19HS that can be bought from amazon.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    357 wrote:
    I hope your USB-to-Serial connector would work. I had mine bought in local store before but unfortunately all them doesn't work with cisco routers and switches. There's some tested brand like keyspan USA-19HS that can be bought from amazon.

Maybe its your PC thats the problem, i have a usb-serial adapter that wont work on my ibm thinkpad but will work on my viao and desktop, its very strange it will receive characters but wont send any.I've tried the same adapter on multiple IBM think pads in my office with the same result.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doesn't the Thinkpad have a serial port?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote:
    Doesn't the Thinkpad have a serial port?

I have a Thinkpad T60 and it doesn't have a serial port...I have to use a USB-to-Serial connector as well...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    kevinquickkevinquick Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A couple of things that might help out:
    The IP address that you were getting is typical of windows creating an IP when it isn't being given one from the device its connected to, or when its not connected to anything, but set to obtain IP automatically. When you were pinging that IP, you were pinging your own laptop, not the router.

There is a program called putty that is free and will let you telnet or ssh into the router through an ethernet cable through the lan if the port is statically assigned (usually port 0)

the default IP for that port wil probably be 10.10.10.1, subnet 255.255.255.242
    set your laptop to 10.10.10.2 with the same subnet, no gateway necessary, leave it and dns blank

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to get into the router through ethernet if you don't have putty or a serial port or a known IP
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    kevinquick,

I understand that your new. icon_lol.gif

but for future reference, look at the last post time.

the last post was in aug of 2007, i would think he knows by now, and that the topic is a dead one, since it was posted last year.

but for future reference before posting a new reply, look at the last post time, and see if it is outdated, also see if his question has been answered, or that his concept has been cleared.

thanks.

and Welcome to the forum

i also see your from the Carolinas, What part are you from.

I am from Winston Salem
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb