Options

Issues understanding Redistribution

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Has anyone tried redistribution in a production enviornment? I am doing some labs right now, and i have to configure two LANs, but one LAN has RIP and the new LAN should be configured with EIGRP. I am using the same subnet mask, since RIP does nto support VLSM.

I will have to apply the passive-interface command on the port, on the router that bridges both networks, and create static routes on the router that bridges the two networks?

Little lost on this one.
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You have to redistribute the routes between the protocols. Just connecting the routers together will not make this happen. You need to use the redistribute and route-map commands. You can find more information about redistribution of eigrp here http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrp-toc.html#redis. Hope this helps you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Hey thanks...

Cheers!!!!!
    Arrakis
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did an easly little redistribution example the other day. Except my example was between Autonomous systems within EIGRP. Kinad different than what you are trying to do, but it would be a nice example of route-maps and redistribution commands.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25975
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    datchcha wrote:
    Has anyone tried redistribution in a production enviornment? I am doing some labs right now, and i have to configure two LANs, but one LAN has RIP and the new LAN should be configured with EIGRP. I am using the same subnet mask, since RIP does nto support VLSM.

I will have to apply the passive-interface command on the port, on the router that bridges both networks, and create static routes on the router that bridges the two networks?

Little lost on this one.
    The labs tells you to use RIP or you can use RIPv2 as well. If you can, then you solved your VLSM problem.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • Options
    datchcha wrote:

Little lost on this one.
    The labs tells you to use RIP or you can use RIPv2 as well. If you can, then you solved your VLSM problem.

Hmmm, good suggestion. but i wanted to focus on the two different route protocols, more then VLSM.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    I don't think you have to worry too much about VLSM in the lab enviroment. Just so you know, redistribution is above the CCNA level, but its always good to learn new stuff! Always keep learning!
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    I don't think you have to worry too much about VLSM in the lab enviroment. Just so you know, redistribution is above the CCNA level, but its always good to learn new stuff! Always keep learning!
    Is it really? Because I remember having to setup redistribution on my last case study at semester 4.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • Options
    Well, to be a CCNA and have absolutely no experience or knowledge on redistribution would be kinda backwards.

I mean ya you can get by without it on the test. But redistribution is such a fundamental element to internetworking, every CCNA should at least know what it is, what it can do, and the very basic configuration.

Is it beyond the exam?Yes

Would an employer look at you crazy if you didn't know the basics of redistribution and claimed to be a CCNA? Probably!

Would I be surprised to see it come up on 802? NO!

Thats my opinion. icon_neutral.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    Well, to be a CCNA and have absolutely no experience or knowledge on redistribution would be kinda backwards.

I mean ya you can get by without it on the test. But redistribution is such a fundamental element to internetworking, every CCNA should at least know what it is, what it can do, and the very basic configuration.

Is it beyond the exam?Yes

Would an employer look at you crazy if you didn't know the basics of redistribution and claimed to be a CCNA? Probably!

Would I be surprised to see it come up on 802? NO!

Thats my opinion. icon_neutral.gif

Your point is 100% on target. I am a little worried that once i take my CCNA in October, that I am not going to know as much as i should to land a new career, or job. Sure passing the test is one thing, but knowing the material and technology is another matter. I do not want to be that guy who you see for a month or less, then disappear becuase i was let go since i couldn't perform my job currectly.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    The CCNA proves that you are proficient on the exam objectives nothing more. You get certified in those subjects, should you know more? Of course, but you are certified only in the topics that are covered on the exam.
  • Options
    Very true networker. I guess what I was tryign to get across is that everyone should try to make themselves as valuable as you possibly can. There is a good possibility that other CCNA's are in contention with you for a job opportunity. So is that employer going to pick the person that went above and beyond, and can prove he/she can do a little more than what he/she is "certified" to do? I say Absolutely!
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    I am a little worried that once i take my CCNA in October, that I am not going to know as much as i should to land a new career, or job. Sure passing the test is one thing, but knowing the material and technology is another matter. I do not want to be that guy who you see for a month or less, then disappear becuase i was let go since i couldn't perform my job currectly.

I think the CCNA is not enough for current job requirements. l talk from personal experience.
    A few years ago you could find your way in ajob just knowing the basics, because networks back then were relatively simple and the managers and directors were networking-ignorant, so they really could not know whether you knew your stuff or not.

Nowadays there are a lot of wireless and voice stuff out there, and the CCNA falls short at that, and current managers are usually former or current CCIEs or maybe CCNPs if you are lucky enough, so if you are not up to the challengues you are out.
    Also, real jobs require a lot of troubleshooting skills, and that means knowing lots of
    shows and debugs that are not even talked about in the CCNA track.

I would suggest you getting a ccnp before trying to get a job or at least reading the ccnp books; including the old CCNP troubleshooting book too.
    [/code]
    I hate pandas