Options

Best use of old PCs. Ever...ever.

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Sorry if this is old, but I just stumbled upon this and couldn't help but post it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_tXcRYOYZ0&mode=related&search=

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i bet all those PCs end up on ebay. same with the video of the hard drive domino thing.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Needed to work in a flight of stairs there :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Yeah, but then they probably wouldn't be able to sell them later. ;)
    Oh and that Maxtor domino thing was awesome too, but rather anticlimatic.
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    As someone who tries to persuade customers to donate working hardware which is no longer needed to deserving causes rather than to dedicated recycling companies I think this is a pretty selfish act. How many of those PCs no longer work just because that idiot wanted 30 seconds of fame on YouTube? His 4 minute 'documentary' on his 30 seconds of fame is comic if only for its cringe value, Ricky Gervais eat your heart out.

I don't mean to be a downer here, if it was a bunch of 486s, you know, I'd have a laugh at it. But chances are, they're not 486s and probably still useful to at least 5-10 possible deserving causes. One man's junk is another man's treasure.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wanboy67 wrote:
    As someone who tries to persuade customers to donate working hardware which is no longer needed to deserving causes rather than to dedicated recycling companies I think this is a pretty selfish act. How many of those PCs no longer work just because that idiot wanted 30 seconds of fame on YouTube? His 4 minute 'documentary' on his 30 seconds of fame is comic if only for its cringe value, Ricky Gervais eat your heart out.

I don't mean to be a downer here, if it was a bunch of 486s, you know, I'd have a laugh at it. But chances are, they're not 486s and probably still useful to at least 5-10 possible deserving causes. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I would agree but...

Three years ago I was trying to donate about 150 Pentium 4 1.2 ghz computers (they were about 3 yrs old.) and no one would take them, I tried every non-profit in the area and most of them had newer better computers they had purchased with grant money (plus the ones I was trying to donate had CRT's and many places only wanted LCD because of power consumption). I wasted a ton of time on that, only to call a recycler to come pick them up in the end.

I agree that there is somone somewhere that wants the old equipment, but at times finding that person is more trouble than it's worth

Anyone interestind in a bunch of cisco 7000 series routers?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Oh yeah I agree dtlokee, if no one wants them then that's the best option. Some recyclers even ship stuff off to Africa for education projects and stuff like that and it's win-win. But from the sounds of it that guy dropped a couple of PCs thought it was funny and trashed the whole lot icon_rolleyes.gif
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    dtlokee wrote:
    wanboy67 wrote:

I would agree but...

Three years ago I was trying to donate about 150 Pentium 4 1.2 ghz computers (they were about 3 yrs old.) and no one would take them, I tried every non-profit in the area and most of them had newer better computers they had purchased with grant money (plus the ones I was trying to donate had CRT's and many places only wanted LCD because of power consumption). I wasted a ton of time on that, only to call a recycler to come pick them up in the end.

I agree that there is somone somewhere that wants the old equipment, but at times finding that person is more trouble than it's worth

Anyone interestind in a bunch of cisco 7000 series routers?
    i'd of taken the pentium 1.2ghz in a heartbeat!

i might take a 7000 router too :-p
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    If you ever need to give stuff away for free, just advertise it on Craigslist or Freecycle and it'll be gone.
  • Options
    Computers can take quite a beating, so I doubt that had any harm on those systems. I've seen them survive some pretty big falls. Hard drives and laptops on the other hand...eh...

KG
  • Options
    szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I could make a power A$$ linux cluster. Pack some serious Gigaflops. Ofcourse that is if you provide me with unlimited electricity.

If no free electricity --> my amd dual core could make place of like 10-20 of those.

Still-- good show.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    "Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm always open for free stuff :D

Just let me know and you can send it too me icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope.. Target practice will be the Best for old PC. 12 garge shotgun work very well..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn