Options

application optimaztion

larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
I have been evaling some app optimizers\accelarators.

Yes C levels also throw hardware at a development problem, no offense.

At anyrate, I have completed the riverbed steelhead eval, that thing is smoking quick...

but causes me to reengineer some FW policies, etc.. Best for it to sit on the private side for sure...

So next up is F5, WA (web accelator) Just got it friday will be throwing into the test enviroment on monday, very, very excited about thi sone, as we run alot of thier gear for ADC stuff.

does anyone have any experince with any app optimerz\'s\accelrators?

found this:

http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/f5networks/vol2/article1/article1.html
just trying to keep it all in perspective!

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi larkspur,

i've done the bluecoat, packeteer, juniper dx, cisco css and that riverbed too.
    really depends on what you need from the box.
    currently - from both sales and technical view - i enjoy the bluecoat better :P

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    i enjoy the bluecoat better

really, why is that?

How does the blue coat appliance handle SSL traffic? Can it sit between other vendors (F5, riverbed, etc).

What is the reason you all deployed it and which model did you go with?

We have a homegrown web app that is written in .net and very leaky if you access it through java broswer, firefox.

So I made it accessible via my ssl vpn appliance and basically let it communicate via an dynamic ssl tunnel. This help meet some of our security requirments, endpoint protection, etc....

becasue ssl is the mix, this can make postioing an appliance like this kind of difficult, would you agree?
  • Options
    hi,
    larkspur wrote:
    really, why is that?

well - you have "all-in one" WAN accel/compression in this box. QoS also there, web/bit caching, web security, gateway redundancy, SSL termination etc - really lets say how you will configure this box. i've seen many box that has only 1 particular feature (like QoS with no web caching, web caching with no compression) - but this one rocks.

this is not a promotion guys :P

F5, riverbed or other probably has the same function - so why you put the function twice?

still need 2 boxes for WAN compression/acceleration - note that this is a "Site-to-site" WAN - not LAN or DC acceleration (different function will follow like load balancer), but can be deploy for web/ssl proxying and caching with 1 box.

for HQ & large branch i use SG510 and the small one uses SG200.
    Still cant minimize that optional price thou.

SSL termination can be transfer to those boxes if its supports.

HTH.
  • Options
    so why you put the function twice?

So for WAN optization yes you would need 2 boxes.

But what about the outside. If you need to speed up an application that is accessed via the internet, google box, something with web cache or high compression?

you can only have a single appliance. Does your bluecoat give you that ability?
  • Options
    yup - it has that web and bit caching function, and web security using websense engine.
    web caching -> for general surfing purpose,
    bit caching -> for that WAN compression so it will make sure that every bit pattern doesnt go out twice.

am i a good sales person or what? hahahahahahahahaa ---- just kidding guys icon_lol.gif

nononononnno... if you need anything be my guest.

cheers.