Options

64-bit Architecture

boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
If you have a motherboard and CPU that are built to run 64-bit architecture will they run a 32-bit Windows XP. I feel like I should know this icon_redface.gif but I haven't every run acros this before, thanks in advance for your advice.

:D

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The x64 AMD and Intel architectures are compatible at the hardware level with x86 (32-bit) architecture, but I'll bet that 64-bit processors are not recognized as supported hardware by the 32-bit Windows XP installer. I would think that Microsoft wants you to spend the extra $$$ for x64 Windows if you have an x64 machine.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never had any trouble getting 32-bit Windows to run on x64 capable hardware. Actually I'm pretty sure there isn't a difference in cost between x86 and x64 Windows either. I know we're not paying any more as a Volume Licensing customer.

They used to have a program where you could swap your OEM license for x86 for an x64 license I think. But if you're going to be supporting this computer it would be better to run x86 if you want to be able to run most of your applications.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    blargoe wrote:
    They used to have a program where you could swap your OEM license for x86 for an x64 license I think.
    It doesn't look like this is the case for Windows Vista: Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?
  • Options
    Uranium-235Uranium-235 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    32-bit programs are not allowed to access 64-bit libraries. I've never dealt with an x64 windows myself, but I would guess for instance a game using OpenGL has to initialize windows naitive OpenGL32.dll, before being passed into the drivers opengl hardware rendering support. If it's a 32-bit game, I don't believe it would work. This is just an educated guess, someone here might prove me wrong, no, someone here should prove me wrong. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    blargoe wrote:
    They used to have a program where you could swap your OEM license for x86 for an x64 license I think.
    It doesn't look like this is the case for Windows Vista: Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

hes saying you can physically obtain a 64bit version of the OS..that link you posted is saying if you have 32bit vista installed you cant upgrade to 64bit, you would have to do a clean install.

no there is no difference in cost