Options

RIS question

nel636nel636 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
whats the best way to intergrate windows updates after sp2 into the xp installation cd so it can be used for an up to date RIS image?

has anyone used ryanvm for this?

Comments

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Forgive me if this is not the answer youa re looking for

setup a "WSUS" server or install the updates on a PC to copy the image for other clients

Lee H
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wsus is not what im looking for.
    i want to slipstream any updates/hotfixes for xp after sp2 was released into a RIS image so that image can then be imaged onto new pc's. This will then save bandwidth instead of downloading from the wsus server all the time.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Here are some instructions on how to do that - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6346_11-5304468.html .
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well when i try to run a rip prep from a dell oem cd (which i have also used on risetup) it now says that i need to add the correct image to the ris server even though its from the same cd as i used on the client install aswell!

doesn anyone have any ideas? ive ready about hotfixes making changes to the kernel which it makes the RIS server think its a diff version. or should i hunt down a volume licence copy and create a flat image?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Use this for your install source:

http://smithii.com/slipstream_xpsp2
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    WorktruckWorktruck Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you figure this out? You already have a base image on the RIS server I take it? From my use and understanding of RIS(My information maybe kind of out of date since it's been a good 6 months since I was working in a RIS environment) you only run RIPREP on a workstation that you plan to pull the image from not on a CD.

So, you only use RIPREP on a workstation that you have installed all the updates, programs, and drivers that you need to use for that line of workstation.

Now, if you want to add a new base image will all the current updates you'll need to create the slipstream disk with all the latest updates and run risetup /add from the run command to place it on the server.