Options

I don't understand

skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying so hard to pass the Net+ test. I failed it twice (hangs head in shame)
I am reading a lot of things from every web site I can find and still can't pass the test.
Does anyone have any ideas to give an older woman who is over 50 and trying to get a Net+ certification?

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't[
No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would suggest writing stuff down almost like a write off icon_wink.gif (anyone remember those?)
    i would also suggest making flash cards for a "matching " game

i have read and also done this and found it helps.. when studying for stuff do it early in the morning ( I still keep a 5am study schedule icon_arrow.gif for the most part) or do it late at night.. it deals with something of programming the sub conscious to "work" on stuff
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Thank you Keenon,
    I will buy some index cards today and play the match game.
    Later in the evening will a good time for me to study...thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Hello skeezix, keep your head up... :) you are not the first, nor will you be the last in missing a test (beleive me I have been and will continue to be there icon_rolleyes.gif ) Is there a area that you are unsure of? What were the areas from the print out, maybe there is a site/book the community can suggest. Which materials are you using?
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi, and welcome on board.

Just in case you haven't noticed: www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/pdf.shtml

What study material are you using? Do you have a good book + set of practice questions?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    skeezix wrote:
    I am trying so hard to pass the Net+ test. I failed it twice (hangs head in shame)
    I am reading a lot of things from every web site I can find and still can't pass the test.
    Does anyone have any ideas to give an older woman who is over 50 and trying to get a Net+ certification?

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't[

How have you prepared up until this point? How much experience do you have with the material or is it mostly book knowledge? Perhaps (if experience is limited) shadow some seasoned techs or help volunteer on some church/school/non-profit type organizations. Grant it, they cannot usually risk network failure because of a newbie, but it's possible to work with someone else and begin applying knowledge you've learned from reading.

Do you have a practice lab setup? NET+ is vendor neutral and overall a general exam....so a lab isn't absolute, but it's a tool to help get used to the tough and feel of network components. You may even find some of these older pieces...'cheap'.

Hang in there. Also, age is not relevant to passing or not passing. Possibly, just a little rusty on study habits? Set about 1 hour aside each day and review the material. More can become overwhelming. Distractions work the same against study as they ever have...so make it early morning or later at night (depending on you and your household).

The PDF recommended above by Webmaster is very well done. Have this in hand on the next go round.

People do fail these exams...not as many post about failing as those who pass...so consider yourself among the brave ;) It happens. Continue to prepare and give it a go again. Third times a charm!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let us know what you are using for study materials.

I passed the test June 11, 2007. But keep in mind I'd also passed the Networking Essentails test years ago, so I wasn't new to the subject.

This is what I used.

1. Sybex book Network+
    2. Exam Cram Book
    3. Transcenders practice exams (the test was pretty different from Transcenders. I didn't feel it helped as much as it did on Microsoft tests. Maybe someone else used PrepLogic or Self-Test and found it more helpful)
    4. The Cram Session study guide (free, but get ready to click Skip This Ad)

Good luck!!! Keep on trying..
  • Options
    hogan868hogan868 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Keenon, it is scientifically proven that you remember 70% more of the material when you write it down.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I feel much better about my failed tests now. lol

I have the CramExam and the PrepLogic. I took their tests and went through the steps they recommend. Passed with flying colors! Even took the tests again and passed. So the day comes for my "real" test and I fail with flying colors! sheesh!

My place of employment asked me to help out in the IT department for a few months to reset passwords, keep printers online, that sort of thing, while the only IT person was learning the new computer system. I worked in that department a year and fell in love with IT! When I had to go back to my old job, I was at the point where I could go to the server room and retrieve deleted files and do the monthly backups, set up new employees with emails and do all sorts of things. This seemed to impress upper management (me too) and now I am after my certificate so I can go back to the IT area.

I did not mean this to take up space, but that is where I am now.

Skeezix
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Skeezix,

While everyone above seems to be on the right track, I would like to emphasize the ability to focus on where you are weak. There are plenty of good (and free) practice tests out there that will pinpoint the objectives you need work on. Fill in the blank with the analogy of what you can't fix if you don't know what's broken.

Also, continue to be active and read these forums. I have seen such an improvement in myself and my skills since I have been a member here. As you can see, everyone is extremely helpful and willing to share all types of hints, tricks, and stumbling blocks.

Best of Luck!

-C
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    Sbs1011Sbs1011 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up.....
    U can try to get Sybex Network+ and technote here, it can help u to pass it simply.
    Focus on your weakness...
    Good luck.!!
  • Options
    When I took the Net+ exam, the score and areas I needed work on were printed out for me. I am going to take the advice and really "hit the books" so to speak, and hopefully will see an improvement soon.
    I am so happy I found this forum. Everyone is so helpful. One day soon, I will be able to help and encourage the new ones also.
    Skeezix
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    skeezix wrote:
    When I took the Net+ exam, the score and areas I needed work on were printed out for me. I am going to take the advice and really "hit the books" so to speak, and hopefully will see an improvement soon.
    I am so happy I found this forum. Everyone is so helpful. One day soon, I will be able to help and encourage the new ones also.
    Skeezix

Out of all the material I went through - Tech Notes Tech Notes Tech Notes!!!! will help you succeed. But the reading part won't help you much - you need to lab alot of the commands and looking at all the different equipment. Maybe goto the biggest store you have something like a Frys Electronics and go through an look at all there equipment and familiarize yourself with the things that you are unsure of. Another thing - print out the objectives and go through them and understand them.

You are doing all the right things, the night before I don't even study I go to bed pretty early and wake up an eat a good breakfast.

Test taking tip - 10 deep breathes before you walk in. Look at that first answer read it and then reread it again. Then eliminate two or more possible WRONG answers. select the MOST LIKELY answer for your selection.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like to take a practice test and write down the subjects that confuse me as I go. After you finish you can go back and study the things on your sheet. Rinse and repeat :)
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Hit your weak areas hard, take lots of practice tests from as many sources as possible and just focus when taking the tests.

When I took the test, I had used the Mike Meyers AIO, practice tests from this site, MCMCSE.com and the book.

What are you scoring on the practice tests also?

Regards,

Jonathan