Options

Dynamips

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Would a 3640 be good to use in Dynamips as practice for the ccna?

Comments

• Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Sure would. I used it almost exclusively
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    this is offtopic but since his question is basically answered, why not?

how come there are currently no (atleast, that i know of) switch emulators like dynamips is for routers? would the computer resources required be too much or what?

just wondering since routers are fairly cheap to come by, but a switch for CCNA/CCNP is the most expensive thing.. specially for CCNP.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The short answer is that switches do much of the work in hardware not through the processor. Without the specfic code used by Cisco to make the hardware it would be difficult to do what dynamips has accomplished with the router platforms. I have heard of a switch sim that Cisco has internally but it's not for outside use.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Does anyone have a .net file I could use with the 3640 for setting up frame relay?
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    dtlokee wrote:
    The short answer is that switches do much of the work in hardware not through the processor. Without the specfic code used by Cisco to make the hardware it would be difficult to do what dynamips has accomplished with the router platforms. I have heard of a switch sim that Cisco has internally but it's not for outside use.

Hit the nail on the head there. ASICs are damn near impossible to emulate through software. For starters, it's very hard to even know the specs to be emulated, since manufacturers often do not disclose them.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Will Dynamips work on windows Vista?