Options

Frame Relay static map

SanKuKaïSanKuKaï Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
As you can see, I really am up to my studies these times... icon_study.gif

This time it's FR!

From ICND book, the command for a static is "frame-relay map...."

But from the CCNA techlab from this site it's "frame-relay route...."

Can someone explain? Is the route command an old version for mapping static FR routes?

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    They do two different things...

From cisco:

Use the frame-relay route interface configuration command to specify the static route for PVC switching.

frame-relay route in-dlci out-interface out-dlci [voice-encap size]

On the other hand...

To define the mapping between a destination protocol address and the DLCI used to connect to the destination address, use the frame-relay map interface configuration command

frame-relay map protocol protocol-address dlci [broadcast] [ietf | cisco]

So don't mistake the two for overlapping... their functions are different. ROUTE uses both end DLCI's to create the route, MAP uses just the local DLCI with the destination IP to create the route.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like Mike said, they are two different things. The frame-relay route command is used on a router to make a frame switch (DCE) whereas the frame-relay map command is used on the DTE to map a DLCI to L3 address in a partally meshed network using multipoint interfaces.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    SanKuKaïSanKuKaï Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

But CCNA exam doesn't cover FR switch setup (ie frame-relay route command), does it?
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    probably not, but it I think it is dumb that it might not.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    No it is not needed for the CCNA, but if you have an extra router you can learn how to use it to create a frame switch for you lab
  • Options
    FIreFr0zEFIreFr0zE Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can guide me with this command?

For frame-relay map command it map the local add to local dlci or remote ip to local dlci or remote ip to remote dlci or local ip to remote dlci when configuring on a router

any any1 help?

thanks
  • Options
    FIreFr0zE wrote:

For frame-relay map command it map the local add to local dlci or remote ip to local dlci or remote ip to remote dlci or local ip to remote dlci when configuring on a router

any any1 help?

thanks

The frame-relay map command will map a remote IP to the local DLCI address for the PVC to the remote router. The idea is to tell the router what DLCI is used to send traffic to a remote IP address, even if the IP address is more than one PVC avay (such as a hub and spoke network where spokes are communicating with other spokes)
  • Options
    Hi thanks for reply me the meaning of frame-relay map command.

so when we configure frame-relay map we always type:

frame-relay map ip [remote ip add] [local dlci] ?

but how come book stated

example routerA s0/0 ip address is 192.168.1.1 with local dlci as 100, they configure frame-relay map as

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2(remote ip?) 200(remote dlci?) broadcast ??

base on ur explanation isn't it suppose to be:

frame-relay map ip 192.1688.1.2(remote ip) 100 (local dlci?) broadcast

which is the correct 1?

pls acknowledge thank you!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    FIreFr0zE wrote:

any any1 help?

thanks

The frame-relay map command will map a remote IP to the local DLCI address for the PVC to the remote router. The idea is to tell the router what DLCI is used to send traffic to a remote IP address, even if the IP address is more than one PVC avay (such as a hub and spoke network where spokes are communicating with other spokes)

for your explantion "local dlci address for the pvc to the remote router" meaning DLCI from the remote side?

if so then should put as frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 200 broadcast

hope i interpret it correctly.

thank you...
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No it's the DLCI on the local side. IF the remote IP is 192.168.1.2 and the local DLCI is 100 then the map statement should be

frame map ip 192.168.1.2 100 br

Also the broadcast keyword is usually for routing protocols, so if you are using static routes, then there is no need for the broadcast keyword.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    No it's the DLCI on the local side. IF the remote IP is 192.168.1.2 and the local DLCI is 100 then the map statement should be

frame map ip 192.168.1.2 100 br

Also the broadcast keyword is usually for routing protocols, so if you are using static routes, then there is no need for the broadcast keyword.

Do you have sybex 640-801? fifth edition?

base on the book page 553

the example show is oppsite compare to yours. it shows as

RouterA#show running -config
    interface s0/0
    ip address 172.16.100.2 255.255.0.0
    encapsulation frame-relay
    frame-relay map ip 172.16.100.1 200 broadcast

where 172.16.100.1 is the remote ip address and 200 is also the remote DLCI, damn confusing... haha

sorry im not doubing you but just that.. there are too many example i do not know which is correct which is wrong. so if u have the book whats the outcome?

Ops just abit to submit my post I read the next page 554 it is different again icon_rolleyes.gif
    i type the config for both the router

RotuerA#show running-config @ RotuerB#show running-config
    interface s0/0 @ interface s0/0
    ip address 172.16.100.2 255.255.0.0 @ ip address 172.16.100.1 255.255.0.0
    encapsulation frame-relay @ encapsulation frame-relay
    frame-relay map ip 172.16.100.1 100 @ frame-relay map ip 172.16.100.2 200
    router rip @ router rip
    network 172.16.0.0 @ network 172.16.0.0

The book so contradicting, hope u have the book with u for reference. And possible pls teach me why does it form this in such combination in theory? thank you so much for ur time.

Most thankful

Warmest regards.
    FIreFr0zE
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    FIreFr0zE wrote:
    where 172.16.100.1 is the remote ip address and 200 is also the remote DLCI, damn confusing... haha
    You're in the Troubleshooting Frame Relay section.....

The text is asking what's wrong in that example -- and then tells you that it's wrong to use the remote DLCI.

And the next configuration does look good -- and they even say so in the text. Then they tell you it's missing the broadcast keyword.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Oh thanks for telling me as i just run through roughly... as im in a rush i tot it was other error and not due to frame-relay map command. I got to go so check it out on my way to my dest. thanks...