Options

Consensus on study guides and labs

jgladwelljgladwell Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am reading through here and the general consensus is that Sybex and Meyers' books are good ones to look for.

I used Sybex for A+ and was pleased.

I am the kind of guy that I have to know "why" to really understand what I'm reading. I prefer to learn by reading a little AND doing, instead of reading something and only barely getting practice.

what kind of equipment do you recommend for a lab for Network+? I have two routers, Cisco 1750 and 2500, and 3 or 4 PCs that I can network through my house to practice on.

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I liked the ExamCram2 version of Network+. It covers all of the objective very well.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jgladwell wrote:
    I am reading through here and the general consensus is that Sybex and Meyers' books are good ones to look for.

I used Sybex for A+ and was pleased.

I am the kind of guy that I have to know "why" to really understand what I'm reading. I prefer to learn by reading a little AND doing, instead of reading something and only barely getting practice.

what kind of equipment do you recommend for a lab for Network+? I have two routers, Cisco 1750 and 2500, and 3 or 4 PCs that I can network through my house to practice on.

Well for NET+ as it deals more with physical components, you could use some cheap/used/older PCs, older system to be a server, a router, etc...

The more you practice the easier better things will make sense. You can also simply virtualize your network and have the same 'fun' without the hardware. Since NET+ is more about cables and cards and such...you may wish to accumulate old hardware and create a nice little network. As you prepare for other exams...you may find simply using VMWare setup a network in this manner is more suitable to your space and time.

(at some point, you'll just know how to install a NIC and really don't need to set one up each time you rebuild).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?