Options

ISDN on the ICND exam?

tottstotts Member Posts: 117
I seem to remember reading that ISDN doesn't feature on the ICND exam anymore, can anyone tell me if this is correct or am I subconciously wishing it away? I've checked the Cisco website and its right at the very end of the blue-print for the exam.
totts from essex

Comments

• Options
    SanKuKaïSanKuKaï Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish it wasn't.......
  • Options
    Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    I took the 640-801 recently, and my recommendation to you is: don't spend much time studying ISDN.
  • Options
    NeonNoodleNeonNoodle Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tricon7 wrote:
    I took the 640-801 recently, and my recommendation to you is: don't spend much time studying ISDN.

That would be my recommendation but not because I have taken the test, but rather because it's a minor topic on a 50-60 question test. Unless you're just plain unlucky I can't imagine more than 1-3 questions on it and even three seems to be pushing it since 3 questions is >= 5% of the test questions. So I would know things like the standards used to define ISDN, basic properties of BRIs and PRIs, and the necessary configuration commands to make an ISDN connection.
    I recognize the lion by his paw.
    --Jacob Bernoulli
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    Tricon7 wrote:

I just passed the 640-801 as well and fully agree with this.

Let's just say that I didn't put very much if any time into studying ISDN or DDR and my score did not suffer any...
  • Options
    tottstotts Member Posts: 117
    Thanks very much for the advice averyone, so I'm probably no losing my mind!
    totts from essex
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    totts wrote:
    I seem to remember reading that ISDN doesn't feature on the ICND exam anymore, can anyone tell me if this is correct or am I subconciously wishing it away? I've checked the Cisco website and its right at the very end of the blue-print for the exam.

totts,

According to the 640-811 ICND exam blueprint...
    • Technology
      [list:277d514aa1]
    • Evaluate key characteristics of HDLC, PPP, Frame Relay, and ISDN technologies.
    [/list:u:277d514aa1]

Since ISDN is listed on the ICND exam blueprint, it is fair game regardless of those who have reported that they didn't get any questions about it. Please do yourself a favor and do not get a false sense of security because others didn't get questions about it. In other words, make sure you are properly prepared for the exam by studying everything in the ICND blueprint, including ISDN.

Here's an overview of ISDN from Cisco.

Source:
    1. 640-811 ICND-Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-811.html
    2. Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) Overview - http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/isdn.htm
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISDN is a fading technology, you may be asked a few technology topic questions over ISDN (like adapters, channels etc w/e) but none of the sims will be over ISDN

ISDN is no longer on the CCIE Lab either.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1