Knowing the concepts VS know "how" to do everythin

Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Everytime I study for an MS exam, I'm always torn between learning what everything does, it's purpose, rules, exceptions VERSUS knowing how to setup everything, configure it, click here, click there, this tab, that tab, etc.

I feel really guilty only learning concepts and not how to do stuff, I really don't want to be a "paper" (insert certification here") type person.

I really want to know XP like the back of my hand, but it's so difficult to take the time when you are totally fed up with your current job! I want to be able to tell an employer..."see that book", open it and ask me to do something and I'll show you how it's done!

Anyone else fight with these problems?
Todd Baugh
Aspiring Network Tech

Comments

• 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    yeah, sometimes I feel the same way, too. It's really hard to draw a line between theory and hands-on stuff when it comes to computers. The bottom line is, whatever you know as a theory or set of rules, you'll always have to put it into work and get some first hand experience before you can move on. You just can't memorize stuff and never touch a PC.

And regards the click click click business in Windows, it's actuall there for simplicity rather than confusion. However, it does irritate people at times. This is one of the reasons I choose to study from books. They kinda help you get the idea first before you go ahead and try it out.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.