Options

Saturation Point While Studying?

jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have read the MS Press Upgrade Book (292/296), ExamCram2 and playing in a lab off and on for 4 months. I also have the netfresco document to help :). I am starting to re-read both books again. I also have 3 years experience with Server 2003 at a medium skill level. I feel I cannot absorb another bit of information. I guess I am ready to take the test.

How did you know when you were ready to take the tests with soooooooooo much information?
Are there other resources I should be using other than TechNet?

I am planning to write 296 a week later after 292 (if and when I pass).

Thanks!
Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also had the huge MS blue book, and Exam Cram. I was in the same boat - information overload. I had been studying off and on for about 7 months for 292 and finally heard a co-worker state he was taking an exam (MCDST) a week from Friday. I said "why not" and went to book mine as well. I found no open dates for about a month out, so I booked the earliest one I could. I realized an hour later that I was a month off (yes - embarrassing) and I had actually scheduled the exam for Wednesday and this was a Monday!

I figured oh well, there goes $125, but may as well give it a try. Fortunately I passed, so that was that. Oh, and having taken the test, I can safely say that no amount of extra study would have made a difference. They came out of left field with so many questions that I didn't even make "educated guesses", they were just "guesses". And I have been in the systems administration game since the NT4 days. icon_lol.gif

Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ouch, it seems like the 292 is really a bear to get a handle on. At least you can take it again if needed unlike the old 70-240.

Did you do that one for 2000? If so how do you think they compare in terms of "out of left field questions"?

Would you do it again and do you think the 7 months you spent was overkill and you could have done it in less time?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote:
    Did you do that one for 2000? If so how do you think they compare in terms of "out of left field questions"?
    No, since I never obtained full MCSE status on NT4 I wasn't eligible for the upgrade.
    ITdude wrote:
    Would you do it again and do you think the 7 months you spent was overkill and you could have done it in less time?
    Yes, I would do it again. The 7 months was really a lot longer than I had anticipated, but I kept letting myself get distracted. I think in my case (and only for me personally as everyone is different) I should have taken about 2-3 months of disciplined study. The problem is that, as with all jobs, you never seem to do "everything" you're supposed to know for the exam. However, there came a point where you have to stop postponing the exam and just do it. The "left field" stuff to me might be a piece of cake for you. I will say, however, that none of my study resourses or personal experience prepared me for some of the questions they asked. I also spoke with Johan (aka Webmaster) and he agreed it was one of the toughest exams he has taken. This exam had a rep as being easy up until late 2004, at which point it truly became every bit as hard as you can imagine a combined 290-291 exam can be.

All I can say is study hard! :)
  • Options
    Yes, I do remember back a bit when people were saying the 292 was not that bad but now not so. I suspect as it gets closer to retirement and more people are jamming to do it, maybe it will gert a bit harder.

Perhaps on the other hand since it is retiring they won't spend too much money writing new questions. One can hope they won't find more left field stuff to ask about!

It is so much to cover much like the paranoia surrounding the one shot 70-240.

I guess you have to just really say on these, even though you are used to getting good scores on previous exams, be very happy with anything over 700! icon_wink.gif

Well, I agree the besrt defense is to study hard and really continue working with the OS.

Sure can be time consuming though! :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Well, I am going to go for the 292 test on Friday. Will update shortly after the test.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • Options
    Hey good luck man! ....I know you have been studying for it for some time now... icon_wink.gif

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    jfmcaninch wrote:
    Well, I am going to go for the 292 test on Friday. Will update shortly after the test.

Good luck! This will be the next one that I will be studying for.
  • Options
    I've joined the just failed club. I scored 646/700. No doubt about it, you need to nail DNS which I thought I did. Not a overly tough exam, interesting sims and drop and place questions.

All other areas were good enough to pass except "Implement, Manage, and Maintain Name Resolution" which I believe was 60-65%.

I am going to study over the weekend and redo early next week.

I was starting to think conspiracy theory, as I didn't find the questions too hard, other than DNS. I am wondering if you have to get a certain percent of DNS questions right to pass other wise you fail automatically?

MS Press book, trancenders, Exam Cram 2, this site etc and being an MCSE in NT4, 2K will help with the questions or topics not mentioned in your book.

Down but not out....
  • Options
    I had a slew of DNS which was expected, but what surprised me was the sheer number of obscure terminal services questions. I managed a pass on the first go back when I took it, but I wasn't at all sure about it when I clicked the "End Exam" button.
  • Options
    Darn, sorry to hear that but you were so darn close maybe 2-3 at the most. Anyway, I wish you the best on the next shot. Please keep us informed on your progress. icon_wink.gif

Well wrote a second time and scored in the mid 500's and a third time with virtually the same score. I am going to cut my losses and write 290 and 291 and 293 and 294. The obstacle would be 291 for me, but perhaps having a smaller focus for each exam might help.

I am planning on using my MSPress Upgrade book to focus on the 4 tests along with Technet for things I need expansion on.

Problem for me is not having ample time to study with a heavy work load and small family, I gave it a good go at it, but smaller portions may do the trick. Luckily to date, work has paid for the exams, but two week wait between rewrites can put me behind when I want to write ITIL and CCNA as well shortly.

Thanks for all your help in this forum and good luck to all 292 and 296 candidates.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the frustration with the exam. Well, no one has said it was a walk in the park for sure!

Well as you said perhaps cutting your losses and taking it in smaller chunks will work better for you and you won't be constrained by the March 31, 2008 deadline, too.

It is really tough when you work, have a family and a life too to stay on top of this stuff. It is dooable but you must make some sacrifices.

Anyway, best of luck and let us know how it goes. icon_wink.gif