Options

Ospf neighbor

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
From the ciscopress book for ICND in the chapter on Ospf it says 'on an interface that does not use a DR, Ospf updates can be sent to all neighbors on that interface'
I thought the whole point of using a DR was to reduce ospf traffic, why would 2 (non-DR)neighbors be sending each other updates?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not all networks call for the use of a DR. If the routers are not on the same segment or broadcast network no DR is chosen. Therefore interfaces where no DR is used updates are sent to the neighbor.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Not all networks call for the use of a DR. If the routers are not on the same segment or broadcast network no DR is chosen. Therefore interfaces where no DR is used updates are sent to the neighbor.

So if you had 2 ospf routers separated by a switch or hub they would never use a DR even though they may be on the same subnet?
  • Options
    If you only had two there wouldn't be a need for a DR. If multiple switches connected to a switch and on the same VLAN, then you would have a DR. If you have two routers connected by a point to point link, then there is no need for a DR.
  • Options
    If you only had two there wouldn't be a need for a DR. If multiple switches connected to a switch and on the same VLAN, then you would have a DR. If you have two routers connected by a point to point link, then there is no need for a DR.

Did you mean multiple routers connected to a switch and on the same vlan?
  • Options
    Yeah thats what I meant sorry icon_redface.gif.
  • Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    DRs doesnt need to be chosen on links that arent multiaccess.. serial links for example.

Because serial links are just point-to-point, there can't be 3 och 7 routers talking on the same serial-line, only 2. So "all neighbors" on that interface will be just the one router on the other side.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Designated routers are only elected on broadcast and nonbroadcast network types. It's important to understand OSPF network types which are not tied to the type of interface. For example a point to point interface (one using HDLC, or PPP for example) will default to the OSPF network type point to point. This network type does not require a DR or BDR on the segment, but you can change the network type to "broadcast" then it will use a DR and BDR.

To see the OSPF network type of an iterface use the show ip ospf interface command.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    But getting back to what the text says, 'an interface that does not use a DR, updates can be sent to all neighbors on that interface'. They're making it sound like there is more than one neighbor on the interface which would seem to indicate that it's not a point-to-point link. Is it possible for an interface to not use a DR and not be a point-to point link?
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes, in frame-relay. You can create a full mesh frame-relay with a OSPF point-to-multipoint network type. But i'm not sure what that text is referring to.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    yes, in frame-relay. You can create a full mesh frame-relay with a OSPF point-to-multipoint network type. But i'm not sure what that text is referring to.

It's the first paragraph on page 198.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ok then yes, the example i described is one example of how this can happen.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!