Options

Honestly...

CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
I dont know how I did it but I seemed to miss the part about not being able to upgrade IOSs.
Is there no cost effective way to attain these IOS upgrades or should I just put these routers back up on the auction block? They are IOS 10.....
I feel like i just wasted alot of money for nothing.
A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    what kind of routers/
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    what kind of routers/

They are:

Does anyone know if something like 12.2 would work on all of them or would they each be different?
  • Options
    Do I just need to buy another 2501 with a newer IOS and just transfer it to all of them?
    Upset in SD

:) Someone let me borrow their NVRam icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    YGPM, you may have been hooked up icon_lol.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dudes....

Those are perfectly good routers. Putting them away and selling them is not gonna get ya anywhere. They are cheap and are a hella good way to learn and practice without spending a LOT of money.

Ok, be economical and do these things:

--> Upgrade and Max out memory. I bought routers that were pathetic memory wise. But since I assembled my lab is like 1-2 weeks I also managed to get max memory for these thing off ebay. Now all my 2500 series routers run 16D/16F and 12.3 IOS, which is, might I add, damn good and next best thing to 12.4 - which is something you can do very good without.

--> IOS Images. The IOS images are litterally all over the internet (GOOGLE - no seriously!!). LIKE ALL OVER. I have seen ftp sites, filled with all the images for routers (oranized by series, ofcourse) with virtually every functionality Cisco has offered. IP PLUS, Enterprise Plus, Enterprise with IPSEC 3DES, you name it.

So please fellas, if ya wanna make them work, upgrade the memory. And also, Cisco IOS aint free, so If I do give you a site to download an IOS, remember-- Its not too much on the legal side. So, if you wanna be a nice little girl/boy sell them - and buy another router off ebay. They wont sell for much, but you can pay more and get one 12.4.

Or you cud think like this:

This is america, where people care only about money, and no one hands you anything. So if you want to make a future for yourself in Cisco world, I suggest, looking the other way and downloading those IOS images, and practicing with them.

Remember, Im only trying to help, but must chose which route (no pun intended) you wanna take. My suggestion: spend like 50 bucks or so more, and get upgrades for all of the routers - Mem for them is cheap.
    "Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    dude you are fine, you don't need anything too new for ccna labs. like 12.0 is fine.
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    szkizzer wrote:
    This is america, where people care only about money, and no one hands you anything. So if you want to make a future for yourself in Cisco world, I suggest, looking the other way and downloading those IOS images, and practicing with them.

Thank god we don't have such a crappy attitude up here in Canada. Oh, wait... I dl'd my IOS's from an ftp server in Quebec. Damn, I suck!

Hey Cessation, what do those routers have for memory? I believe I got 11.8 IPBase on my 2501's without upgrading, and 12.2(35) after. Let me assure you, there's nothing on the CCNA that can tell the difference between the two images. So you may have enough room.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    mmreedmmreed Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah Cisco should really have an academic IOS version that they make available - at least for the lower certs.

Maybe a CCNA flavored IOS of the common lower end routers so that we could get current IOS backend to work with.

Im sure they could do something to it so Enterprises would not want to run it.

Heck make it so after 3 days of up time it needs rebooted or something.