sometimes CBT Puts me to sleep...

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone here studying with any CBT product and start getting sleepy? sleeping.gif

I found this to be true when studying for Sec+ and now 70-290. I also find that the time of day I view these is an important factor. After a good 8-9 hour day, I come home and try to study with a CBT product and next thing I know im out like a light.

Its not that i find the material boring or un-interesting. For some reason they just sometimes put me in a hypnotic state and I fall asleep. Usually after a good 30 minute nap, however, I can view them for hours on end.

Im convinced that CBT products have the same chemical as Turkey icon_lol.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I remember using CBT materials from LearnKey that had presenters with very soothing voices and a pleasant transition melody that played between each lesson. If I was mentally tired, I would start to doze off while watching the presentations. I discovered that it was best to only study from the LearnKey material while at Starbucks and drinking a venti no-whip mocha.
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    This has happened to me before as well with some of the TestOut material. Usually it was after lunch or after a long day, when my mind wasn't really focused. Like you found out, it's better to just turn it off for a bit and come back to it when you're mind is focused for study.

Although I've heard that playing songs/information when you're sleeping will help you to better retain the information. I'm not sure how valid it is, but I'd be interested to see if it really was the case. sleeping.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Vitamin-C, chewables. The vitamin helps keep you alert and usually the taste alone is tart enough to make you wake up :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats soo true... its just something about computer trainin work for me on screen.

One time when in 9th grade - about 3 years ago, i went to the library and checked out a visual basic video-- within 10 minutes I was out cold.

Three days ago. watching a CCNA cbt - just after waking up - within 20 mins - out again - after getting 10 hours of sleep.

Somehow - the hypnotistic (?!) voices get me every time. Maybe they should do something that startles me after like every 10 mins. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So I'd be jumping around. icon_bounce.gif
    "Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learnkey = Turkey I'm telling you!

When I took 270 and 290 most of the time I'm reading a book I always have my headphones and my zune, dunno if it helps, but it keeps me entertained specially dealing with boring stuff of the book.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    <- idem, although the Red Bull and coffee keeps me awake, CBTs (like classroom training) aren't fast enough imo. They should have an option to run it at 1.5x speed, which will force you to keep up and the annoying pitched voices would be enough to keep you awake. But I think it differs a lot per person, many people use CBTs as a common item in their study arsenal. It probably also depends a lot on how much you know of the topic already. In a book you're eyes can skip a certain section precisely whether it's a couple of sentences or pages, but with a CBT it's hard to skip a small portion because you won't know beforehand how much you need to skip.... or how much longer that one particular diagram will be displayed and explained.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    They should have an option to run it at 1.5x speed, which will force you to keep up and the annoying pitched voices would be enough to keep you awake.

I usually use CBTNuggets and you can speed it up (nothing special on their side just part of the Windows Media plugin), just have to stop my workmates thinking I'm being lectured on Linux by Bugs Bunny.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's some times I've watched James Conrad in fast mode. And let me tell you, he talks fast enough in normal mode as it is.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • jahman182jahman182 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel better now, I thought I was the only one falling asleep when watching these CBT videos. Not once, not twice, but several times, so I usually prep for bed before firing one up. icon_lol.gif
  • motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    Firing one up? Hmmmmm (notice avatar). icon_wink.gif Yeah, anyone suffering from bouts of insomnia should watch CBT's in bed. Even James C. can put you to sleep and he's the best one out there in terms of keeping your attention.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif i did alot of that studying CCNP sleeping.gif i wonder if that was the 5am study hour icon_confused.gif: i couldn't force myself to do the trainsignals
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    There's some times I've watched James Conrad in fast mode. And let me tell you, he talks fast enough in normal mode as it is.

I whole-heartedly agree icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • jahman182jahman182 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    motherwolf wrote:
    Firing one up? Hmmmmm (notice avatar). icon_wink.gif Yeah, anyone suffering from bouts of insomnia should watch CBT's in bed. Even James C. can put you to sleep and he's the best one out there in terms of keeping your attention.

Cool nuh brethren.