CCNP or MSDBA

triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
I'm stumped kind of on what to study for my next certification. I've narrowed it down to 2 paths. I'm just curious of what you guys think, any advice would be very appreciative. I am almost done w/ my degree in C.I.S and currently have my CCNA. I am really into databases and networking, so what do you guys think would be a better route in the long run? The CCNP route or the MSDBA? Any input would be awesome! Thanks!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    triplebenc wrote:
    The CCNP route or the MSDBA?
    Those are two very different certifications and occupations. One has you sitting in a cubical all day wrestling with SQL and arguing with programmers, the other has you running around a data center all day like your pant are on fire trying to please ten people at once. Which of those two jobs appeals to you the most? icon_wink.gif
  • triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ha yeah, good point. Since the my degree focuses alot on database administration, the MSDBA will be a very nice certification to have on my resume. So I'm leaning more towards that. Any idea on whats more demanding these days between those 2?
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the actual certification you want to look into is not MSDBA, but the newer MCITP: Database Administrator. This certification track requires you pass the following exams: 70-431, 70-443, and 70-444.

As JDMurray said, the two certifications are geared towards two very different occupations. I would recommend going after the one you are most interested in, since either career you choose should be rewarding.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Correct - it is unlikely that in the real world, that you will get a job both managing a WAN and being a database developer. Pick the one that you like the best.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    triplebenc wrote:
    Any idea on whats more demanding these days between those 2?
    "Demanding" or "in demand?" Both IT and DBA/admin people are in demand, but how demanding the jobs are depends on where you work. Do some searches on the major job boards to check what kinds of jobs in each fields are available in your area.