Options

NMS Q!!!!

DowimaDowima Inactive Imported Users Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I just wondering , If i have a very big network. with more than 300 switches and routers. Sure we will use NMS(Either ciscoWorks or HP OpenView) to ease our lives. Now If we added a new network device, can the NMS detect it directly ? Or do we have to manually add the device in the NMS?
CCIE ,
I'll get you .

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on the software. You can map the network or manually add objects. I perfer to manually add them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I run a batch job every night at midnight that scans (via both snmp and icmp) and detects all Cisco devices... so ciscoworks can do what you describe automatically.

Even one better... if it's a device that isn't properly configured (ie, incorrect community strings), my report indicates a device failure in the snmp category.

Here at Toyota Canada we run CiscoWorks and Orion, and the server guys use Openview. Openview is clearly awesome, as is Orion... but for the price, CW is great. So many options and reports... I love it.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.