Options

SPAN

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Hey techies... got a plan to test some IDS devices (Juniper and TopLayer), using SPAN. This is a first for me.

On one of the switches in question (a 3750 stack), entered these commands:

EAST-SW1(config)#monitor session 1 source int f2/0/10
EAST-SW1(config)#monitor session 1 destination int f2/0/25

And after a wr mem, this:

EAST-SW1#sh monitor
Session 1
Type : Local Session
Source Ports :
Both : Fa2/0/10
Destination Ports : Fa2/0/25
Encapsulation : Native
Ingress : Disabled

Can someone offer an opinion on the Ingress being disabled? I can see that if I enter a command using ingress, I'm given the options of:

dot1q ingress forwarding using dot1q encapsulation
isl ingress forwarding using isl encapsulation
untagged ingress forwarding using untagged encapsulation
vlan Set default VLAN for untagged ingress traffic

Are these significant? or is my setup above sufficient? FYI, the port being mirrored belongs to vlan 216... the port acting as destination is in 200. Is that significant? Do they have to match?

Thanks kindly,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The idea of Ingress was designed for connecting an IDS to the sitch. IDS devices will need a way to communicate with the network to do things like send TCP resets to close session that violate a rule configued on the IDS. Some IDS devices will use an alternate port to send TCP resets so ingress on the span destination port is not needed.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Appreciate the info... still worried about the vlan issue.

Am I right that the forwarding takes place at the mac level (on the same switch), before vlan tagging takes place? or do the source / destination ports have to be in the same vlan?

thanks.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is the source interace a trunk interface?

The encapsulation for ingress is only on the SPAN destination interface, this is where you will be connecting your IDS. If the IDS will need to send TCP resets out this same interface then you will need to configure the SPAN session to allow ingress, if it's not, then don't worry about it.
    The only easy day was yesterday!