Could my CPU be dying?

christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Today I was playing some Counter-Strike Source on my Acer Aspire 5100 laptop that has a gig of RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Graphics chipset (128 MB) and an 1.6 ghz AMD Turion 64 x2 with a 512 kb L2 cache, and has all the proper up to date drivers that it should have. I was in the middle of my game having fun then all of a sudden out of the blue my computer completely powers down with no warning. Now the weird thing is I can leave my computer on overnight for a couple of days (Doing things that don't eat up much resources, mind you) and nothing bad will happen. Why would it all of sudden shut down in the middle of a game? This isn't even the first time its happened. All I can think of is that since I've had this computer for about a year now, the CPU might start to be dying, or it could use a new layer of coolant. What do you guys think?

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    probably an overheating issue... try and get a cheap laptop cooler...
    Dustin Leefers
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    CS doesn't really have the kind of graphics to put a heavy load on a typical desktop graphics adapter, but the ATI 1100 in a laptop may generate enough heat to cause a failure while playing CS and other FPSes.

A dual-core AMD laptop will run hotter that a typical laptop. If you are running Vista, turn off Aero and you'll ease the load on the processor. Also, only use the laptop in a cool area and make sure it's sitting on a surface that dissipates heat. If it continues to crash you'll may consider putting it for a diagnostic service.
  • christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I play is Source, which is basically Counter-Strike with Half-Life 2 quality graphics. I may invest in some sort of cooling device next payday. Since Monday is a day off for me (No time-and-a-half icon_sad.gif) I'll run some tests playing the game in different places to see if that really is the case. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Edit: Guess I should mention I'm running XP Pro for my OS. I was using Vista Ultimate, but I got sick of what a resource hog it was on my system and uninstalled it.

Edit again: I just use my computer on a standard wooden desk, so I assume that doesn't dissapate heat?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    HL2-quality graphics, eh? If the crash keeps happening, set all the graphics settings at their lowest point. I know it'll look like CS did five years ago, but your CPU and graphics subsystem will generate less heat.
    Last night I downloaded the original CS through my Steam account. I guess I'll just play that until I can order a cooling device.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It does sound like it could well be a overheating issue do your event logs contain any clue as to what the problem could be? Have you checked the temperature readings in the BIOS after a crash as this would be a good place to look for a potential overheating problem. ( Could be a thermal shutdown)

Since it's a laptop I would apply a good quality compound Arctic Silver 5 should do the job!
    Also go with the other procedure of cleaning dust off the heatsink. And get some compressed air inside the machine :)

Bearing in mind if your CPU is hitting temps of 80 - 90 degrees then your laptop will perform a thermal shutdown to eliminate risk of further damage.

I found this excellent site on how to reduce temps

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/129/42/

Enjoy
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    I opened up my case last night and gave it a blast of compressed air. Found two huge dust bunnies in the fan! No wonder it was crashing icon_lol.gif. Anyways, after I did some cleaning in there, it doesn't run hot anymore. I can actually feel the drop in the heat level.