Colds/Flus stink

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
*sniffle* icon_redface.gif

I usually just take Vitamin C tablets. Any other suggestions? I'm on the third day.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Red Bull + coffee + hot soup (not mixed ;)) usually get me through those days quite easily.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cold-Ez (sp?) or one of the copies/clones. Basically candy-coated zinc. Don't take on an empty stomach though as it can prodice a little discomfort. They are lozenges that you dislove slowly in your mouth. Zinc as a cold remedy ALWAYS helped me. However, it's usually most effective if you start taking it when your symptoms first begin.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-remedies/ID00036
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    A cold (rhinovirus) and a flu (influenza) are two very different things. If you have a cold you should drink water or Gatorade, eat chicken soup, and get plenty of rest. Try not to take too many cold remedies, as they just ease the symptoms and tend to allow the cold to hang on longer. There not much you can do after that.

A flu is more serious and will have a fever and possibly nausea/vertigo/diarrhea with it. The best thing is complete bed rest and drinking water regularly. You won't feel like eating, but that's OK. Let the fever run its course (unless it's above 103F) and tough it out by sleeping as much as you can. BTW, if you are working at a computer then you don't have the flu.

Lots more good medical info at: http://www.webmd.com/
    sprkymrk wrote:
    However, it's usually most effective if you start taking it when your symptoms first begin.
    Yep, that what I do. At the first sign of a cold (usually a tickle in my throat) I start gargling with Listerine, swabbing out my ears with Hydrogen Peroxide, and sucking on Trader Joes Raspberry zinc lozenges all day. I'll also put that Zicam zinc gel up my nose, but I'm not sure if it really works or not (I think it keeps germs from getting to your nasal passages). But all of this only works at the beginning of a cold to prevent it from taking hold.

Oh, my wife swears by that Airborne stuff, but I think it's just a placebo.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I thought Airborne was a gimmick too and it seemed to work.

Worked better on the first use then it did a few months later, but still seemed to work.

Vitamin C and Halls I tend to like, but go to work and be productive...in a few days good as new and still have a paycheck :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    AIRBORNE works like a charm! I love it....it does work.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Theraflu Teas for cold or flu!!!

I remember how much it saved me when i worked in a call center and had a cold and strep...cleared congestion and soothed my throat
    shednik wrote:
    Theraflu Teas for cold or flu!!!
    I've heard good things about Theraflu too, but have never thought to try it when I get sick with a cold every 1.5 years. I wonder if I can have the manufacturer to send me a free sample.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    However, it's usually most effective if you start taking it when your symptoms first begin.
    Yep, that what I do. At the first sign of a cold (usually a tickle in my throat) I start gargling with Listerine, swabbing out my ears with Hydrogen Peroxide, and sucking on Trader Joes Raspberry zinc lozenges all day. I'll also put that Zicam zinc gel up my nose, but I'm not sure if it really works or not (I think it keeps germs from getting to your nasal passages). But all of this only works at the beginning of a cold to prevent it from taking hold.

Oh, my wife swears by that Airborne stuff, but I think it's just a placebo.

Good suggestions them. People often debate about whether the "placebo effect" is real. Personally if i get those occasional headaches I just cant shift, after two paraceitamol I always feel better. immediately, is it a mind game or are they hellping my headache? :)

I hardly ever get colds as well (maybe once every 1.5-2 years), i never take vitamin supplements but i drink lots of fresh apple and orange juice as well as eating lots of fruit, always eat my veges as well. These are the best ways to avoid getting ill in the first place. Im also a radiator 24/7 even when the weather is cold, not sure if this is to do with my metoablism or the fact im a large guy, probably a little of both :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.