Options

Windows2000 vs WindowsXP

EzraEzra Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
If I were to buy the full, non-upgrade, boxed version of Windows2000 Professioinal, I could install it on a new PC, my laptop, and everytime I upgrade, no problems.
However; due to anti-piracy features, you cannot do this with WindowsXP. Is this true or false?
Thanks for the help,
Ezra

Comments

• Options
    CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    You can upgrade Win2000 to XP. I've done it. Make it legit though. The Xp has a activation code to make noticeable the the software is the read deal and not a pirated copy. MS is trying to crack down on these underground suppliers
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    if it is just for home use to help with study, you may still be able to get hold of eval version of win xp. you will be able to install it on as many machines as you like, but it will cease to work after 120 days.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think what Ezra is on about is being able to install XP on several of his systems without problems.
    Legally no it is not acceptable to Mr Gates & company, however you are correct. W2K because it does not need the activation code that XP has can be installed on multiple systems.
    I have come across many occasions where I have seen XP installed on several systems and the owner has used the rogue CD key for the illegal installs.
    Personally if I were going to install a new system today I would use W2K. I currently have XP on my main box but I have all of the frills turned off so in essence it is W2K. I do have a box with W2K installed and it sure is a heck of a faster and a whole lot more stable so you can guess what is going on this one for my next rebuild.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Windows XP works for 30 days unless activated, once activated it is bound to that PC based on hardware information. When you replace a "substantial number of hardware components" you need to reactivate XP by calling Microsoft. So if you want to install XP on multiple machines for study then 1 XP license should work out... never hurts to repeat the installation process a couple of times. icon_wink.gif

Here's the Windows XP licensing info at MS:
    Windows XP Product Activation

As for speed and wether or not Windows XP is stable, I think Windows XP is MS's best OS yet. :)
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to everyone for the help. Russ is right, I was concerned with the re-activation of XP.

Say your hard drive dies, and your backup program doesn't work (been there, done that), and you have to reinstall and re-activate XP. Or, say you want to learn about the install process for the A+ exam. How many times can you re-acitvate XP before Microsoft says whoa, wait a second, your making illegal copies!?

I have no pirate software. Never have, never will. I recently passed the A+ exams and now want to rebuild, not upgrade. Current system is a PIII 450 with NT4.0. I have no complaints with it, just want PnP and USB. I'm choosing Windows2000 over XP because it's basically the same, just doesn't have all the "fluff."
    ez
  • Options
    EzraEzra Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Opps, forgot to sign in. Previous post was from me. Sorry, thanks,
    Erza
  • Options
    PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    the reactivation is exactly why I removed XP from my machine at home. I upgraded memory and a video card and it needed me to call MS to reactivate even though they claim those parts shouldn't require the reactivation. But mine did and they couldn't explain why so I am sticking with 2000 - if it ain't broke don't fix it right?
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i wonder if ms 70-270 would cover the activation thing in more detail?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    bellboy wrote:
    i wonder if ms 70-270 would cover the activation thing in more detail?

No, this is pretty much it, the objective covering activation thing is: "Perform post-installation updates and product activation." all the info you need about this for the 70-270 exam is in the link in my previous post.