Linux gurus help needed, make command

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
It's been some five years since I've worked with Unix.

I installed Linux, Mandriva and performed live install. I'm trying to install Asterisk PBX and need to run the command:

#make clean; make install

So apparently the system doesn't have the 'make' utiliyt. Fine, I downloaded the make utility and unzipped it. There's a 'configure' command that I need to run, but it doesn't do anything.

It's like a catch 22. How can I get the make utiliyt to work?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried it from the install directory with ./make?
    What error are you getting when you try it?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Try ./configure, and also check the permissions on 'configure' as well. If necessary, do a chmod 755 configure and then ; ./configure.

Post any error messages that you might get. Also make sure that you have the GCC compiler installed in your system.

Rgrds,

IP
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks folks, here are the errors:

STEP 1: I tried to install Asterisk as instructed:

[root@localhost asterisk-1.4.11]# make clean; make install
    bash: make: command not found

STEP 2: I downloaded the Make utility from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/make/ and unzipped it and then ran:

[root@localhost make-3.81]# ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details.
    [root@localhost make-3.81]#

If compiler is the issue, how can I get it?
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    You can get gcc at -> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.2.1/.

Please keep us informed if you run into any other errors.

:)
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    i dont have a mandria box but i beleive this should work:

urpmi gcc gcc-cpp gcc-c++

urpmi is the mandriva's own rpm package management application. That command should take care of installing the compilers for you. If that doesnt work google for a gcc rpm package download it and then use urpmi to install it.

I would be much more help if this were debian :)
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You need a compiler. gcc is what you need to install. Thats the Gnu C Compiler. Once you get that installed you can use the make command.
    I downloaded and tried to install the gcc compiler, I'm getting: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

[root@localhost gcc-4.2.1]# ./configure
    loading cache ./config.cache
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether ln works... yes
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
    [root@localhost gcc-4.2.1]#

Should I call Bill Gates :)
    Was my post overlooked?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't installed a Linux distro in a while... but it sounds like when you installed your distro from the CD you didn't include the software development tools. That would include your compilers, the make utility, etc.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try seuss' suggestion to install a gcc compiler, it may solve dependancy problems more efficiently than manually downloading it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    If my command above doesnt work it is probably because you do not have your urpmi repositories.

A site such as this: http://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php should assist you with that problem.
    do have the gcc compiler, but I still can't run the make command. I've tried all suggestion in the thread with no luck:

1. Here is the compiler installed:

gcc-cpp - The C Preprocessor
    Version: 4.1.2-1mdv2007.1.i586
    Currently installed version: 4.1.2-1mdv2007.1
    Architecture: i586
    Size: 5073 KB
    Medium: update_source

2. Here are the errors:

[root@localhost ast]# make clean; make install

[root@localhost ast]# ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Any suggestions icon_sad.gif
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try a linux forum icon_wink.gif your have your answers in seconds!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    It is definately your compiler having issues.

Your compilers may not be setup properly. I dont know how you installed it or where things went wrong. That is why i was recommending the package management tool. It will install it properly and setup the correct path values and so forth.

If you think that your compiler is installed correctly it may be as simple as setting its PATH correctly.

You are receiving the error message:

"configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH"

here is some info about PATH:

=
    The PATH variable determines where, and in what order, Bash will look for executables. Each directory is separated by a colon (:). Bash interprets your path from right to left. Let's say your PATH is set to /usr/bin:/bin/:/sbin/:/sbin/. When you enter a command, Bash will look for it in its internal shell functions first, then /usr/bin, then /bin and so on, until it either finds the command or gets to the end of your PATH. Often you may simply want to append or prefix your current PATH; you can do this by specifying

PATH="$PATH:/next/path:/next_next/path"

or

PATH="/prev/path:$PATH:/next/path"
    export PATH

In the first example, Bash will look through /next/path and /next_next/path after it finishes with your current PATH. In the second example, Bash will first look in /prev/path. You may want to prefix your PATH with /usr/local/bin, since that is where hand-compiled programs are usually located, and these are generally more recent then those that came with your distribution. You may also want to prefix ~/bin and have a bin directory in your home directory where you can put customized versions of programs and scripts (useful if you don't have root on the box).

If you are unable to get the urpmi package manager to work and having a hard time installing the compiler and meeting all of its dependecies you could always reinstall. And make sure to install the development packages like someone mentioned earlier.
  • TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone is right when they say that your system can't find your compiler, but downloading it from gnu is NOT the best way to solve this problem for you. Simply because, even if you get that setup correctly your going to have millions of problems getting all other libraries and all dependencies working correctly.

Mandriva is it? Put in the CD(s), and install every single development package you can. All of them, whether you think you need them or not (For the most part, you wont). I'm not really talking about IDE's like Anjuta/Eclipse/KDevelop, but every library file.

Then you shouldn't be having these problems. Mandriva can be particularly difficult when it comes to these kinds of issues. Try and install whatever it is your installing with an RPM if you can find one (It might also be on the CD's package manager)