Windows Login Scripting Question

IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

My work doesn't provide me with a test environment so I need to make sure that this is right before I proceed.

Background - We want to silently update Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition's clients on login.

Steps -

1) Create %Usergroup%
2) Add Users to %Usergroup%
3) Modify the login script to:
If Ingroup ("%Usergroup%")
Shell '%Comspec% /c vplogon.bat
End if

Am I missing anything or does that sound about right?

Thank you for your time
MCP/MCSA/MCSE
Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
A.S. Electronic Engineering
A.S. CIS
A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
Studying
CCNA

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    We use Symantec Corp edition where I work, so this leads me to ask you a question....

Why do you need a logon script? From the Anti Virus server I've always been able to push the updates silently without a script.

Are you talking about updating Virus Definitions or Updating the Client software version?

If you are talking about the Client version (maybe you got a new CD ect..) then you should be able to just put the CD in on the Server and use the Deploy option. It's been a while since I had to do that but, I think that's accurate.

With Antivirus updates from the server there are several options to update definitions without the user being aware of anything going on.

Sorry if I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff at you that you might already know, I just don't recall ever having to script anything with SAV corp.
  • IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why do you need a logon script? From the Anti Virus server I've always been able to push the updates silently without a script.
    The script is to automatically install at login. We could push updates silently through the console but we're trying to minimize administration.
    Are you talking about updating Virus Definitions or Updating the Client software version?
    We're updating the client software version, it already updates the virus definitions
    Sorry if I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff at you that you might already know, I just don't recall ever having to script anything with SAV corp.
    We had used a similar script previously with Novell, it makes the client rollout and updates so much easier. We're nearly phased out of Novell and want to move the script from Novell to our AD infrastructure.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    A.S. CIS
    Studying
    CCNA
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    USe a software settings installation policy to assign the Symantec AntiVirus.msi from a GPO. Otherwise you could have a workstation that only has a local user log on to that never gets updated.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have access to the SAV administrator documentation? I think there is a section on how to deploy via group policy.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Yeah, I've been looking through the documentation. I may have missed the group policy explanation on this. I'll look it over again . Hate to say it but thus far it seems easier to do on Netware icon_rolleyes.gif
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    A.S. CIS
    Studying
    CCNA
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I really thought it was easiest running the Deploy from the CD honestly... Put the CD in, run the option for Deploy, select the computers you want to deploy to and go.....

The only issue is that it would not work on Windows 9X clients which we had at the time I last did this..... So It's been a couple years, maybe things have changed with SAV corp since then.
    I really thought it was easiest running the Deploy from the CD honestly... Put the CD in, run the option for Deploy, select the computers you want to deploy to and go.....

The only issue is that it would not work on Windows 9X clients which we had at the time I last did this..... So It's been a couple years, maybe things have changed with SAV corp since then.

We're just running Windows XP for the time being, looking at migrating over to Vista. However, our financial software does not support it.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    A.S. CIS
    Studying
    CCNA
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SAV CE comes with logon scripts that will enumerate previous installations as well as deploy the latest version of required, this is a batch file though, it can be found in \\SERVER\VPHome\Logon

Updates are automatically pushed out during an update to clients by default, unless specified other wise under the sav admin console.

But the quickest way is to deploy the package is via Group policy under the domain level (or a dedicated OU) which has all workstations on it. Just make sure the MSI has read access for everyone :)

Also you should read up on some visual basic scripting and **** batch ^_^
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My co-worker swears up and down that you can just click an option in Symantec 10.1.5 and it will update the clients... However I keep telling him that I'm pretty sure you can't and he says "yeah there is, I have it going to update next week".

I still haven't seen this mysterious "update clients" option. The only thing I know about is that you can do it one by one by using the "clientremote install" option.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have pushed client updates out from the CD to Windows 2000 / XP client. There is a component of the SAVCE server that you can install, so that you do not need the CD. You have to watch that the windows firewall does not get in the way and you need to make sure the server is up to date.

If you want to use scripts, look in the VPLogon directory. I have used those in the past when there were still windows 9x that did not support the push installation.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete