Options

Architecture Models

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
OKay So I have been reading the BCMSN book and I have read the first chapter like 4 times because I just can't seem to wrap my brain around all those architecture models. SONA, IIN, AVVID, Enterprise, yatta yatta.....They use the words "functional area" and "Module" so interchangeably. You have a functional area and in that you have a module, and within that module you have another module and another module. It's like what the heck! I noticed that those subjects aren't in the NP blueprint so I realize that I probably will not see it on the exam.

My questions is are those models extensively used in the real world for engineers? I mean I realize that what you learn in books is often not used in the real world. So what are your opinions on the importance of learning these different design models?
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, it is common for instructors to only highlight specific points about the different models. Most small and medium sized companies don't seem to follow the models, it's simply too expensive for them. It seems larger companies have the need and resources to deploy the idea of "modules" and "functional areas", but even then many networks have grown out of need rather than by design, often they don't follow the Cisco models at all. It is a Cisco exam. I would know the high level overview of the models and not get too bogged down in them.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    icon_thumright.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's cool to read about and understand the "ideal network" but as already mentioned, real life very rarely follows it. To me, the "ideal network" models are good guidelines to follow when possible however.

for example, if you have a small business you may not have a need for core, distribution, and access layers. You may only need core and access. You can typically merge areas (even in IIN and SONA) to make a more comprehensive network that follows the general outline.

The models are designed to ensure that people aware of the needs of a complete network. They (Cisco) teach a modular format because like a house, many components are necessary to make it work.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    I understand.....Now that I have read a couple more chapters, I noticed that the remainder of the book refers to these modules in more detail. By the time I have read the whole book, I think I will have the functional areas and modules down pretty good.