What can I do with this equipment?

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I have two 2500 Cisco routers, one 2900 XL switch, two 2900 switches (three switches total), and two computers. I wanted to be able to practice some exercises with my home equipment to prepare for the 640-801 test, but I feel like I'm a computer short, having three switches. I suppose I could practice STP and root port election, as well as trunking. Anyone else have any suggestions? Also, I'm going to need to buy a few extra straight-through and crossover cables; does anyone know if any of the chain electronic stores sells them so I won't have to mail off for them? My experience has been that the regular retail electronics stores have no idea what cables I'm talking about, and their eyes glaze over when I mention "networking."

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tricon7 wrote:
    I have two 2500 Cisco routers, one 2900 XL switch, two 2900 switches (three switches total), and two computers. I wanted to be able to practice some exercises with my home equipment to prepare for the 640-801 test, but I feel like I'm a computer short, having three switches. I suppose I could practice STP and root port election, as well as trunking. Anyone else have any suggestions? Also, I'm going to need to buy a few extra straight-through and crossover cables; does anyone know if any of the chain electronic stores sells them so I won't have to mail off for them? My experience has been that the regular retail electronics stores have no idea what cables I'm talking about, and their eyes glaze over when I mention "networking."

First don't buy cables from the local stores, they charge a fortune for them.

For the routing I would suggest getting 2 DB-60 back to back cables (DTE to DCE) so you can connect the 2500's together by their serial interfaces. I would also cable the switches together so you can practice with STP, it would be good if you could make a couple redundant connections so you can mess around with root bridge elections and priorities. You have lots of options.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Do you have any recommendations for an online business that sells straight-through/crossover cables reasonably? I could get them expressed shipped to me.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Here's one I and several others here have used and offers cables at very low prices: www.anthonypanda.com
  • spike_tomahawkspike_tomahawk Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, if you feel your a computer short get Microsoft Virtual PC and an extra nic and you can set up another machine with physical networking without buying a whole new box.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Tricon7 wrote:

Tricon7,

Didn't you have to make straight-through and crossover cables in your Semester 1 hands on final?
    Tricon7 wrote:

Tricon7,

Didn't you have to make straight-through and crossover cables in your Semester 1 hands on final?

Used 'em already.
    This may be a dumb question, but is a Cat5 UTP cable a "straight-through" cable? The aforementioned website for cables lists it, but doesn't list any cables as "straight-through."
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    straight through and crossover depends on the pinouts, not the category or grade. For ethernet, pins 1,2,3,and 6 are crossed over. Another way of looking at it is a crossover cable is 568-A on one end and 568B on the other.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    So would "Cat-5 patch cables" fit the description for a straight-through? The site doesn't mention pinouts, obviously.
    Yes, a Cat 5 patch cable would be a straight through cable.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I like www.deepsurplus.com

A 'straight thru' cable is usually just refered to as a cat5, cat5e, cat6, etc. or sometimes as a patch cable. Crossover cables are usually refered to as crossover cables.

hope that helps.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
    Duhhh.....CompUSA sells cat5 cables. icon_evil.gif I had asked for "straight-through" before, and the sales folks were stumped. No need to mail order at all.
    Tricon7 wrote:
    Duhhh.....CompUSA sells cat5 cables. icon_evil.gif I had asked for "straight-through" before, and the sales folks were stumped. No need to mail order at all.

I was messing around with one of their sales people before asking them is a CompUSA mouspad would be compatible with my Microsoft mouse, that got me some interesting reactions. CompUSA should also have crossover cables. You'll pay a premium for them, $10-15 each when you can get them online for $5 or less.
    dtlokee wrote:
    Tricon7 wrote:

I was messing around with one of their sales people before asking them is a CompUSA mouspad would be compatible with my Microsoft mouse, that got me some interesting reactions. CompUSA should also have crossover cables. You'll pay a premium for them, $10-15 each when you can get them online for $5 or less.

Just talked with a salesman there; both straight-throughs and crossovers - 7 ft. - go for $7.99 each. And I don't have to wait for them to be shipped to me. It's the way to go.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DANG! It might be better to buy a spool and some RJ-45's
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • itwannabe007itwannabe007 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why can't you make your own cables, not being funny.
    Watch out for CompUSA!!! What a bunch of incompetent idiots, including the management! It's like this every time I go there!

I needed some cat-5 and crossover cables, and I found out on the phone that they had the cables I needed - I called and the salesperson said he said "we have this and this cable at this price and length." Great. I drove over and went the the aisle where the cables were. No sign of those cables at those prices. I saw those cables at DOUBLE those prices, however. I asked a salesperson about it, and he said, "No we don't have those cables at those prices - who did you talk to? Well, he must have quoted you online prices, not in-store inventory." icon_mad.gif But they guy said he'd check. So I waited - and waited - and waited. No sign of said employee. I finally threw up my hands and grabbed the cables I needed at double the price. I also picked up a mouse and a printer cartridge while I was there. I tromped up to the front counter, and the vanished employee was there, and said he'd discount my cables somewhat for my trouble. Great, I said. Something's finally going right. He marked them down in price and wandered off again, leaving the cashier to ring it all up. The total came to almost a hundred dollars, and I handed her my VISA. She inspected it cautiously and asked for ID, mentioning that the name on the card - my wife - wasn't me. Was she here? I said, no, but I"ve never had a problem before (and I have an unusual last name, so it's not like I sneak around, stealing credit cards from ONLY people with my last name). She said, well, sorry, she couldn't process the card, as I wasn't the name on it. I asked for the manager, who also said "so sorry." Next customer, please. So - I spent almost two hours with CompUSA with nothing to show for it and a long drive home, empty handed - again. Like I said, some variation of this happens every time I go to buy something from them. I'm going back today to get those cables, only because I don't have the time to wait for shipping from an online business, cuz I have to get this practice in! But after that, I'll never shop at CompUSA again if I can help it. Beware of CompUSA!!!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you can buy cable on ebay fairly cheap and it usually comes with a crimper/stripper, some rj-45 plugs, and some even come with a basic cable tester.

ie: i bought 300ft of cat-5e for like $35.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685