Why can't a host access a host on another network ?

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
I have a router connected to two seperate hosts via crossover cables.

f0/0 = 192.168.1.0 I assigned host one 192.168.1.1

f0/1 = 192.168.2.0 I assigned host two 192.168.2.1

the hosts can ping each other with no problem on both networks but when I go to
"run" and type in \\192.168.2.1 in host one It tells me it cannot find the host? but they can ping with no problems
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm gonna take a stab here and say that 192.168.1.0 & 192.168.2.0 are network addresses and therefore unusable. You will need to assign the router interfaces anything between 192.168.1.1 - 254 and 192.168.2.1 - 254 (assuming you're using a /24 subnet mask).
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i don't even think a router will let you put a network (or broadcast) address in for an IP..... but other than addressing issues, the hosts on each network can ping hosts on the other network right? not sure what you're trying to do here..
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IF you are trying to network your computers to share files systems and what not, you will have to do a little more than just establish network connectivity. You will need to setup a workgroup or a domain. YOu will need to start the necesary services and configure permisions.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    a workgroup should do it, make they are on the same subnet un less u have a router and create a routing table for both subnets, if u only have a switch make sure they are on the same subnet..the computer will comunicate either by ip or by netbios broadcast
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    aquilla wrote:
    I'm gonna take a stab here and say that 192.168.1.0 & 192.168.2.0 are network addresses and therefore unusable. You will need to assign the router interfaces anything between 192.168.1.1 - 254 and 192.168.2.1 - 254 (assuming you're using a /24 subnet mask).

you probabily didn't get my question........................

the 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 are not the Ip address I assigned to the router, I was just showing you the network I was working with

f0/0 is 192.168.1.2
    f0/1 is 192.168.2.2
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I have an obvious question... have you set up shares on the hosts?

\\192.168.2.1 will show public (not hidden) shares... do they exist?

Or how about mapping the drives without using Run? Does that work?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before you try to use an application layer connection, verify your connection with ping. Have you set a default gateway onthe clients that point to the respective IP addresses on the router? Ensure the client PCs are not running windows firewall (or any firewall for that matter). use ping to remove the complexity of file sharing which might be turned off or otherwise.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Considering you mentioned they can ping each other they have layer 3 connectivity and your issue is probably on the Microsoft and not Cisco side of your network if you know what I mean.
    when I connect to the crossover cable to both PC and put them on the same network, they work but that is not what I wanted to to do.

I want to be able to ping and still access files through the router on the different networks

I can ping alright but for some reason I cannot access the files
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    You have a Windows problem.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • WingedTekWingedTek Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice343 wrote:
    when I connect to the crossover cable to both PC and put them on the same network, they work but that is not what I wanted to to do.

I want to be able to ping and still access files through the router on the different networks

I can ping alright but for some reason I cannot access the files

Sounds to me like a windows permission or workgroup issue. You don't have a domain setup for it do you? How are you trying to access the files and in what fashion? If you can ping the two computers you should be able to see a list of the computers existing on the same network.
    ya you should at least see the netbios names in the filesystem under the appropriate workgroup. Accessing the shared folders is a different story.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you can ping the machine you should be able to do a nbtstat -a (remote machines ip) w/o the parenthesis. You should see if they have file and print sharing enabled if there is a <20>

Make Sure you have both PC's in the same WORKGROUP
    Make sure the user account is on both PC's and the passwords are the same or make sure the guest account is enabled
    Is simple file sharing turned on? If so you should be able to create a file share and have anyone access it. Otherwise you will have to setup file and ntfs permissions
    I'm wondering if maybe your router is blocking netbios broadcasts. icon_scratch.gif
    Thats something to consider. Do you have netbios over tcp enabled?
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about packet inspection running? Or access-lists?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
    r_durant wrote:

I do have access-list running on the router but the access list are not blocking either traffic.
  • jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    Since it's established that you have layer 3 connectivity, see if you can Remote Desktop from one system to the other. (assuming these are both XP Pro boxes)

Make sure if you are using Windows Firewall (allow exception for Remote Desktop) or any other firewall for that matter you open up TCP port 3389. Also enable Remote Desktop by checking the box in the System Properties - Remote Tab section. If you can Remote Desktop, then you definitely know it's a Windows Networking configuration issue.
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nice343 wrote:
    r_durant wrote:

I do have access-list running on the router but the access list are not blocking either traffic.

If you have a spare router that has no config on it, you can try plugging that in with just basic routing on it and see what happens, just to eliminate the router totally...

It seems to be pointing towards a windows issue or something local on either of the workstations, but you can eliminate the middle-man totally and then move from there...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • frajofrajo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_idea.gif

Check out the services on both the XP pro machines.
    Computer browser and workstation services should be enabled to get that going.
    As you said they are under one workgroup then check whether you can see that computer over their in n/w connection if no then it is the services which is not enabled.

If it work please let me know about it.

Thanks
    Frajo
    They are not under the same workgroup. They are are in diffrent workgroups.

It works fine when I use a crossover cable or switch to connect both PC and put them on the same network. When I use a router, I can ping both Ip addresses back and forth but I can't seem to access files for some reason. when I go to run and type in \\"ip address"
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like an ACL on the router, or PC firewalls have a way to "trust" subnets, perhaps the other subnet is not trusted because the PC is not directly connected?
    The only easy day was yesterday!