Hosts files

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there I am in the process of revamping the security on my Windows XP machine at home and part of this process is that I wish to edit my own HOSTS file to block potentially dangerous websites.

I am also looking at changing my default ISP's DNS to OpenDNS as I have heard good reviews about this.

My query is If I create a Hosts file within windows and assign OpenDns as my DNS server will the changes I have made get replaced and ignored by the OpenDNS DNS or any other DNS server

How does the O/S decide to use the Hosts file rather than DNS or are they seperate i'm slightly confused here.

Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The hosts file is checked before DNS.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks that answers my question

Does anybody know a link to a reliable up to date all ready written Host file which I can download
    ( I can always add to it in the future)

Many Thanks
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check the contents of: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would add this is not really an effective method of blocking websites, difficult to maintain. I would suggest using your browser's features to do this, and many adware/spyware products can automatically populate the list of restricted websites.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There used to be a utility called IE-spyad that had a list of known malware sites that would install that list in your restricted sites in IE
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...