Scope of USERS group

I created a user, lets call him sam. i made sam the member of administrators group and that is the only group he's member of. I later created a folder on local machine and deny full control to USERS group, to my surprise it also blocked sam from accessing the folder.

Should that really affect sams permissions even though he's not a member of USERS group. I know if he was also a member of Everyone group in that case deny full control to Everyone group would prevent access to everone, but strangely any deny permission to USERS group affects the admin group as well. So is Everyone and USERS group have same purpose?? Are members of Admin group part of USERS group by default? even though it doesn't show up in the user properties.

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I believe a user is always a member of the user's group, since it is an object type.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the built-in group USERS, after the initial installation of the operating system, the only member is the Authenticated Users group. When a computer joins a domain, the Domain Users group is added to the Users group on the computer.

To find what groups (including nested) you or another user is a member of, use the command:

dsget user "CN=Joe Blow,CN=users,dc=ms,dc=tld" -memberof -expand
    All things are possible, only believe.