Cisco Net Academy Students

itwannabe007itwannabe007 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I’m curious about the curriculum of other academy students, I want to know how long it takes to complete the full Cisco training at your school, and is your school on the quarter are semester system? Also besides reading the recommended text books and the CBT’s from the Cisco web site and the labs are there any other study guides the instructors give you to help simplify the chapters? Does the instructor lecture every day on the chapter’s content? I’ll start first, the institution I’m in is based on the quarter system; a student could complete the whole course in one year. I really need all the feed back I can get whether it be from first semester students, graduates, or anyone in-between. Thanks in advance for any cooperation.

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I’m curious about the curriculum of other academy students, I want to know how long it takes to complete the full Cisco training at your school, and is your school on the quarter are semester system? Also besides reading the recommended text books and the CBT’s from the Cisco web site and the labs are there any other study guides the instructors give you to help simplify the chapters? Does the instructor lecture every day on the chapter’s content? I’ll start first, the institution I’m in is based on the quarter system; a student could complete the whole course in one year. I really need all the feed back I can get whether it be from first semester students, graduates, or anyone in-between. Thanks in advance for any cooperation.
    My school also uses the quarter semester way. The instructor does lecture on the chapters content, and in my experience after he's done talking you usually have time to do the labs.

Also, as far as other books and such, i've likes the cisco IOS cookbook, CCNA exam cram, and Tom Lammle's (sp?) CCNA book.

since we're talking about the net academy, does anyone know when they will update the CCNA curriculum for the 802 exam?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • itwannabe007itwannabe007 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just want to make sure my instructor is teaching this course the cisco recomended way, and does anyone know if the instructor has to have a CCNA and does it have to be current? I just want the best out of my training and my training does not feel right. I don't want to get anyone into trouble but I want to make sure i'm learning in the correct way?
    i'm pretty sure they at least have to have the cisco certified academy instructor.. both of mine have.

Darthn3ss wrote:
    i'm pretty sure they at least have to have the cisco certified academy instructor.. both of mine have.
    yea, okay, but what do your study materials consist of?
    we use the cisco press intro and icnd books and we also use the online cirriculum (essentially the book online, with labs in pdf format, case studys, quizes).

Darthn3ss wrote:
    we use the cisco press intro and icnd books and we also use the online cirriculum (essentially the book online, with labs in pdf format, case studys, quizes).

So does your instructor ever give you questions to answer on chapters that you hand write to use as study guides?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wrote about my academy in this thread
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15821

I did the self-paced web option, with access to lab and proctored test facility for the finals.

The module exams were online and I just assumed that we were on the "honor system". It wasn't until I saw the average score on the proctored final exam drop by 20% that I realized some of my classmates were doing the module exams "open book."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I'm in net acad right now. My instructor writes books for cisco press, so he knows his stuff. The best part is that we can take the old exam up to 1 year later after the cut off date. The new stuff wasn't finished when we started, so we used the old curriculum. He said when the new one is complete he will go back and go over things that have changed. Since i go to a rather large net acad we get unlimted access to rack time and we have tons of gear in the classroom. More than enough for everyone in the class to build some of the stuff they ask you to build in the books. Now the more complex labs I'm sure we're gonna have to work in teams, but for now its great no complaints, and i'm going for free :D .