remote connectivity to a 2k3 file server with DHCP

The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Server is connected to a DSL line, so the IP changes...obviously calling the site every time you want to remote in would be a pain in the butt.

Looked into DynDNS a bit, seems like a decent idea.

The other idea we're kicking around (who knows if it'll work) is would it be at all possible to interface it thru the companys website where the site updates DNS from the local file server on a regular basis? Basically, so the box can be connnected to without having to constantly reverify the IP address from the client side.

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What kind of Firewall/VPN are you using? Many have options for dynamic VPN tunnels that only require a static IP on the main concentrator, the other side effectively acts as a dial-in/remote access client so it's IP is irrelevant. The limitation here is that the other side has to initiate the connection but you can get around this quite easily by scheduling a simple PING from that server to one at the main office to run as regularly as you need to keep the tunnel open. If the remote IP changes the next PING will simply re-open the tunnel as usual.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good question, I just started tinking around with it.

Basically the file server is about as stripped down as possible. The local network has really no security or user accounts because its a company consisting of maybe 4 employees, none of which are technically saavy at all, and all of which are resistant to change ;)

The only user account used within the network is an administrator account I created for remote connectivity. I have it set up within a test domain right now, and I configured remote access fine.

So basically, applying a keep it simple approach...Im trying to keep the file server configuration as simple as possible just because if anything results in a major change on the tech side of things it will result in absolute chaos on their side. My concern of course being that with "everyone" set up with full access to the network shared drive...anyone who connects has free reign. Then again, anyone who has remote access rights would have the admin account and would have free reign regardless.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best solution is to make them fork over the extra $20 a month or so for a static IP from their ISP.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Best solution is to make them fork over the extra $20 a month or so for a static IP from their ISP.

SNAP
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Please tell me it does actually use a Firewall/VPN and the server isn't just plugged right into the modem icon_eek.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?