Remote Desktop Connection 101

LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
hello everyone

Ive been playing with RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) for several hours now and cant get it to work. All PC's are using windowsXP sp2. I dont know what gives. I would like to write up an idiot proof guide to this bish from ground up, including usernames/passwords (fake or whatever). I dont need to buy software or play with trials. I just want this on my own farm of computers (LAN), not through the internet. This is just for self training pretty much... any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

so far this is the best I have found. Its pretth much self explanatory and not difficult in anyway, the hard part is setting up each computer then logging on correctly.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/default.mspx
CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
Microsoft: MCSA 2003

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you set up a workgroup or domain environment?
    Are you connecting via IP or Netbios name?
    Are you using local accounts or domain accounts?
    Are you using administrator account or a member of the Remote Desktop Users group?
    Are the firewalls configured to allow access?
    Can you ping or do file sharing or anything between the PC's that tells you the network connectivity is working properly?

If you can give us at least that much information for background we'll be happy to help. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Have you set up a workgroup or domain environment?
    Computers are both in WORKGROUP=HOMENETWORK. ie in rightclick mycomputer, computername, change, domain is not checked, workgroup: is.

Are you connecting via IP or Netbios name?
    for the sake of simplicity, I wanted to start with just two computers.
    left computer = 192.168.1.100
    right computer = 192.168.1.101

Are you using local accounts or domain accounts?
    local accounts, i think? might need help on verifying this, im obviously no guru at this

Are you using administrator account or a member of the Remote Desktop Users group?
    i am logged on with administrator credentials on both puters

Are the firewalls configured to allow access?
    firewalls are off

Can you ping or do file sharing or anything between the PC's that tells you the network connectivity is working properly?
    yup, pings no problem.

If you can give us at least that much information for background we'll be happy to help. :)

if you want, just write up everything and i can just copy that, dont have to use this stuff, just want a bulletproof idiotproof guide to setting up RDC missing nothing covering every little detail. would be greatful
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well it looks like you are off to a good start.

Is the same administrator account and password used on both computers?

Have you enabled rdp on both pc's and given the Administrator access? (Right Click "My Computer and select properties, Click the Remote Tab, Check Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Well it looks like you are off to a good start.

Is the same administrator account and password used on both computers?
    i sign in as Left on left computer, and Right on the other, both have administrator priveleges. password is lower case administrator on both computers.

Have you enabled rdp on both pc's and given the Administrator access? (Right Click "My Computer and select properties, Click the Remote Tab, Check Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.
    yup
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i sign in as Left on left computer, and Right on the other, both have administrator privileges. password is lower case administrator on both computers.

Use the same administrator account on both computers and let me know what happens
    sign in on both accounts as THE administrator?

also, im just looking for a template for this. im sure im not the first to do this. i can copy/paste what you already have. im in and out all day/night so could take a while
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally, I don't "have" anything for you to copy/paste. I'm shooting from the hip trying to help you get the connection working, not trying to write a guide or step-by-step article.

You DO need to use an account that exists on the target computer as gojericho0 pointed out. The easiest way is to make the admin account on both computers have the same password.

Let us know what happens when you try that. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    just an update. i figured it out. I can control another 10 computers in another room via RDC at work... at home its another story lol. what gives?!? well, i did use IP addresses at work instead of domain names at work... nm then i answered myself. i'll write something up here when i get time.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lamini wrote:
    just an update. i figured it out. I can control another 10 computers in another room via RDC at work... at home its another story lol. what gives?!? well, i did use IP addresses at work instead of domain names at work... nm then i answered myself. i'll write something up here when i get time.

huh??? So what did you do differently at home that allowed you to figure it out? I was going to say try starting terminal services on the target machine.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    create an admin account on both computers with the same username and password. Guaranteed to work.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    As Garv and others have said aslong as your logging into both machines as administrator with the same username + password should work fine.

Just chuck IP address into RDP and via.

When you say firewall is off I assume you have the windows firewall configured right aswell??

Also, when you say it 'wont work' what do you mean? What error do you get? access denied? network address not found etc??

As for a guide?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457106.aspx

I'll be honest and didnt read the whole page but im sure it should help :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    sorry for late reply

it was pretty simple. my mistake was my computers are automatically logged on, using no passwords at home. RDC doesnt like that, so make sure you create passwords. That and I was logging on using names, you have to log on using IP Addresses (?), ie "Connect to..." prompt, put the IP Address of destination puter.

pretty much its like this:

you can ping around here to see whats your own IP address, as well as the other computers that you are connecting to...

#1 On OTHER computer, ensure you know the login name and password
    #2 Get OTHER computers IP Address
    #3 On YOUR computer, know your login and password, and know your IP Address
    #4 Start RDC (Start>Accessories>Communications>Remote Desktop Connection

#5 From YOUR computer, enter OTHER computers IP Address... The End

since you know your own computers address, you can also view the other direction.

Thanks all. this thread makes me laugh a little bit, learned a lot since then
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just a reminder ............. the computer you are logging on to MUST have a password.

I hope you are logging on to these machines as a user and not administrator - easiest way to screw things up icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lamini wrote:
    sorry for late reply

it was pretty simple. my mistake was my computers are automatically logged on, using no passwords at home. RDC doesnt like that, so make sure you create passwords. That and I was logging on using names, you have to log on using IP Addresses (?), ie "Connect to..." prompt, put the IP Address of destination puter.

pretty much its like this:

you can ping around here to see whats your own IP address, as well as the other computers that you are connecting to...

#1 On OTHER computer, ensure you know the login name and password
    #2 Get OTHER computers IP Address
    #3 On YOUR computer, know your login and password, and know your IP Address
    #4 Start RDC (Start>Accessories>Communications>Remote Desktop Connection

#5 From YOUR computer, enter OTHER computers IP Address... The End

since you know your own computers address, you can also view the other direction.

Thanks all. this thread makes me laugh a little bit, learned a lot since then

Netbios name should work fine also, have you tried it with names....
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.