missed ccna by 15 points !! a question regarding scoring .

cruiseiwaycruiseiway Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
got 834. **** !! anyways, fighting it again on 17th .

just a small question is it better to leave a question unattempted or to just guess it ?
Anything that doesnt kill me makes me stronger !!!

Comments

• Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Picking an answer by guessing gives you far greater odds of guessing right than doing nothing at all. That probability is 0%, versus the 20% or 25% chance you have of getting a multiple choice question right by guessing.
    Starting my CCNA journey!
  • Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    I do feel for you. I got a 745 a few weeks back, so not nearly as close as you. Yeah, you were probably one question away from getting it, which really rubs the salt in the wound. But as close as you are, you could conceivably take it again right away and pass it.
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont rush a retake bc you are close to a passing score. You may have been close bc you got by on something that you didnt know the first time around and just got lucky. Go over the material again and get ready for the retake as if it was your first time taking it. I speak from experience trust me...
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Guessing is ALWAYS a better choice than leaving an question unanswered. And since you can usually narrow it down to a couple possibilities, I find the odds even better... sometimes 50 / 50.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • cruiseiwaycruiseiway Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks everyone. will keep your suggestions in mind when i retake the exam.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    if you don't know the answer defiantly take a guess..

my theory is that with multiple choice there will always be a few answers that are completely wrong and a few that are close to being right. So if you get rid of all the ones you know are wrong your in with a much better shot even if you guess.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can definitely see how you'd think wrong answers can hurt you, but in the case of Cisco exams you're fine putting something totally off the wall :)

Use a process of elimination to improve your chances even more. Even if you have no clue what a question is about you can typically toss out several answers because they're completely and obviously wrong.

Where there any areas you felt you were insufficient in?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I feel for you, I got pretty close on the CCNA exam as well. Yup, it's definitely better to at least take a guess on the questions you just don't know. An educated guess is always better, you can usually eliminate one or two options on the multiple-choice questions by simply reading through and figuring out what options just don't make sense. Still, if you're completely stuck and the clock's ticking, it's better to take that 20% - 25% chance, as opposed to leaving a question blank and giving yourself that 0% chance of getting it right.

One thing that I can say, though: learn from your mistakes. Things that you couldn't answer on the test, try to make a mental note of what they were, especially if they're things you never really covered in your studying. The first thing you should do the next time you study, is to look those things up and really nail them down. After that, use your score report to figure out what areas you were weak on, spend some time studying those specific things. Then, go back through everything and do a good review, just so you don't start forgetting things you were strong on the first time around. (There's nothing more frustrating than tanking the exam the second time around because you missed things that have started to slip from your memory, but that got you your points last time.)

Good luck on the retake. We'll be looking forward to seeing one of those "I PASSED!!!" updates to this thread.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • cruiseiwaycruiseiway Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand : you were correct !

847 doesnt make a CCNA.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ouch that hurts! Hang in there keep reviewing and don't let things get rusty. You should be over the top next time.

Try going through the questions looking for the wrong answers and then find the correct one/s through deduction rather than immediately jumping to find the correct answer. If you can do that, then you really know the material.

Good luck! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Keep hitting the books (and routers/switches or simulator) and don't let it get to you. As long as you keep improving with your study you should be able to smack it down on your next attempt!

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yikes, you will get it next time if you were that close. Lots of superb advice in this thread about a retake. Good lUck.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!