Options

Remote configurations makes me on edge so to speak

happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am just gonna throw this out there. Anybody get a little on edge when you have to configure a router or switch that's a WAN/remote site? Even though you know what you are doing, you check check and recheck, to the point of something that should take five minutes, ends up taking around 15 from all the dang checking! :) I just got done configuring one a little while ago, and it was a simple configuration change. I even setup the router to reload in a half hour in case I fat finger a configuration or whatever and lock myself out. Now that I think of it, I think a fellow coworker put the presure on a little more, being how he made the statement. Make sure you don't screw that up and set the reload in case you fck up. Or you gonna have to fly out there and fix it." So something so simple for me, just seemed to have a lot more pressure on it than it should? Anybody else been in my boat?
Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.

Comments

• Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    nope I get my stuff rigt everytime, not!!!

Yep, I think we all get that "I need to take a crap feeling" at some point, except maybe the CCIE's.

icon_lol.gif
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    larkspur wrote:

Yep, I think we all get that "I need to take a crap feeling" at some point, except maybe the CCIE's.

icon_lol.gif

CCIE's feel just as much pressure as people that don't have the cert.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    i get it all the time...

like i have the command entered and my finger is hovering over the enter key.... should i push this? whats gonna happen?

what i have found is if your working on a remote router don't save the config until your sure that it is 100% right. that way if you mess up you can get someone in the remote office to reboot the router..
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    rakem wrote:
    i get it all the time...

like i have the command entered and my finger is hovering over the enter key.... should i push this? whats gonna happen?

what i have found is if your working on a remote router don't save the config until your sure that it is 100% right. that way if you mess up you can get someone in the remote office to reboot the router..

It sucks when there's no one at the remote end to do it icon_sad.gif
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    larkspur wrote:

icon_lol.gif

CCIE's feel just as much pressure as people that don't have the cert.

Except when a CCIE messes up it's usually causes a much bigger problem than the loss of a single remote site :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    It sucks when there's no one at the remote end to do it

that is where the reload command is a life saver. I used it when I migrated a bunch of remote routers from frame-relay to point-to-point.
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I manage eight remote sites so pretty much all the work I do is remote. Luckily I have never locked myself out! I was nervous at first, but I think you get used to it after a while though. I do have people at the remote sites but they are VERY limited in what they can do, they can turn the equipment on and off thats about it icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    For just this reason, people sometimes dedicate a POTS line for remote configuration. I don't know if huge enterprises do it, but when there are only a few sites, it's not a bad idea.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rearden wrote:
    For just this reason, people sometimes dedicate a POTS line for remote configuration. I don't know if huge enterprises do it, but when there are only a few sites, it's not a bad idea.

All of the remote sites and co-located equipment we had was connected via a terminal server (something like a 2511 or a 2610 with a NM-32a) to all their console ports. The terminal server had an out of band management connection (usually a pots line, but sometimes it was a backup frame-relay connection or ISDN line) just for this purpose.

I see a lot of engineers using a timed reload as a backup method in case they sever their administrative tie to the device.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I did it, about 2 months ago.

Got the okay from the senior admin to change the passwords on all cisco devices... about 60 in total, routers and switches. We have 5 remote offices.

Somehow (no idea how), I typo'd on the vty password on the router in Calgary, Alberta (I'm in Toronto, Ontario), did the wr mem, and closed out. Went back the next day to change the snmp strings, and couldn't get in. And since I typo'd the password, it's not like I couldn't remember it... I had no idea what I'd typed!

Anyway, it's still running, though I have to hope it lasts until mid-October when I'm back out there to do a password recovery.

LOSER!

Hey, that timed reload... what a great idea. Gotta look into that!
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That is one thing I like about the Juniper routers. They have the current config and the canidate config. You can commit the canidate config with a timeout period so it will automatically rollback to the previos config after a set amount of time. If all works fine you cancel the rollback. If it doesn't work fine, you just wait your specified time then it rolls back to the previous config automatically. Pretty neat feature.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    That is one thing I like about the Juniper routers. They have the current config and the canidate config. You can commit the canidate config with a timeout period so it will automatically rollback to the previos config after a set amount of time. If all works fine you cancel the rollback. If it doesn't work fine, you just wait your specified time then it rolls back to the previous config automatically. Pretty neat feature.

It's also nice in that you can reference both configs to see what's different, etc. Juniper routers are so nice.. I like working with our M10's more than our Cisco stuff to be honest. The BSD-based JunOS is great.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    mikearama wrote:
    I did it, about 2 months ago.

Got the okay from the senior admin to change the passwords on all cisco devices... about 60 in total, routers and switches. We have 5 remote offices.

Somehow (no idea how), I typo'd on the vty password on the router in Calgary, Alberta (I'm in Toronto, Ontario), did the wr mem, and closed out. Went back the next day to change the snmp strings, and couldn't get in. And since I typo'd the password, it's not like I couldn't remember it... I had no idea what I'd typed!

Anyway, it's still running, though I have to hope it lasts until mid-October when I'm back out there to do a password recovery.

LOSER!

Hey, that timed reload... what a great idea. Gotta look into that!

Yeah man, I had learned about that a few months ago and use it everytime that I do remote configuration on my devices. All in all, I am used to configuring remotely. But like I said.... I can't help but get nervous whenver I configure anything remotely. Even if it's the most simplest thing that I do on a consistant basis.
    Now I am here learing IPV6 and drinking some Joe! Yay for me.... I am a little confused with it. Hopefully this coffee will kick in soon enough. :)
  • Options
    am here learing IPV6.... I am a little confused with it. :)

What's giving you trouble?
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For at least the last 20 years. while working remotely (or on customer equipment). I've always paused before hitting the enter key and asked myself -- "feelin' lucky punk?"

The one time ever I wasn't lucky, I still was lucky -- the janitor finally picked up the phone after I kept calling the analog phone by the servers and only let it ring twice before hanging up.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote:
    am here learing IPV6.... I am a little confused with it. :)

What's giving you trouble?

Well, I had to brush up again on converting hex to decimal. So that's a go. Then I understand that IPV6 doesn't broadcast like IPV4, what anycast unicast and multicast do, and how to condense down the number of zeros. So far so good.
    Now I start getting into Global unicast addresses, Link-local addresses, and Site-local addresses. So I am sitting here wondering will they all be independant of one another or could they combine a link local-address with a global unicast address? The way I am thinking of it is that you would need a link-local to still communicate with all your local stuff, and add on a global address to communicate with the outside world, or wherever you are trying to communicate with. Sorry if I am sounding confusing on this. :)